none
16 character DVD name limit when burning DVDs in Windows 7

Question

• Why is there a 16 character limit in the name you can give a DVD when you go to burn a DVD through the Burn a Disc wizard when you insert a blank DVD.  I'm used to Roxio and stuff which allows a much longer name.  Is there any way to use longer names with the built-in burning of Windows 7?
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:39 PM

Answers

• It has to do with Naming conventions.

Windows Burn a Disc uses the normal ISO naming convention while Roxio uses the UDF.

DVD are ISO/UDF hybrid so the ISO session will have all caps and underscores and 16 Character name. The UDF session can be anything. If you burn a disc in Toast for example and name the DVD "DVD Video", the UDF session will be "DVD Video" and the ISO session will be "DVD_VIDEO". Windows always mounts the UDF session, a DVD player uses the ISO session.

• Proposed as answer by Bryan Doherty Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by RJO22 Friday, November 22, 2013 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:28 PM

All replies

• It has to do with Naming conventions.

Windows Burn a Disc uses the normal ISO naming convention while Roxio uses the UDF.

DVD are ISO/UDF hybrid so the ISO session will have all caps and underscores and 16 Character name. The UDF session can be anything. If you burn a disc in Toast for example and name the DVD "DVD Video", the UDF session will be "DVD Video" and the ISO session will be "DVD_VIDEO". Windows always mounts the UDF session, a DVD player uses the ISO session.

• Proposed as answer by Bryan Doherty Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by RJO22 Friday, November 22, 2013 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:28 PM
  • so outside of some 3rd-party burning software, I can't make the disc labels longer than 16 characters?
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:36 PM
  • Unfortunately I believe that's correct. I am not aware of any settings to change that in Windows Burn a Disc.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Thanks.  I'm not seeing a way around it either.  That's a shame.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Bryan is right. Due to file system standards, some older DVD labeling programs may not allow more than 16 characters. Windows 7 is based on the Joliet file system as CDFS, which has a low character cap for file names and labels. The new standard in DVD file systems is the UDF system, which will allow more than 16 characters for file names.

To know more about Joliet file system, you can refer to:

Joliet Specification for CD-ROM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125630

To label DVD with longer name than 16 characters, we may need to draw support from third part products.

How to Label a DVD With Longer Than 16 Characters

http://www.ehow.com/how_7653895_label-dvd-longer-16-characters.html#ixzz2kaEkK600

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:48 AM
  • OK, so based off your post and the info in that ehow link, essentially Microsoft's built-in burning utility/Windows 7 is based on the same file system as Nero 6, which was released in 2003, which is what's leading to the problem.  Does Windows 8 have the same issue?
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hi, 

I have checked the properties between CDFS.sys in Windows 8 and Windows 7. There are some differences. 

However, cause of the limitation of test environment, I cannot say Windows 8 still have the same issue. 

If possible, we need further test. If you can, please post back your testing results. 

Kate Li

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Hi, 

I have checked the properties between CDFS.sys in Windows 8 and Windows 7. There are some differences. 

However, cause of the limitation of test environment, I cannot say Windows 8 still have the same issue. 

If possible, we need further test. If you can, please post back your testing results. 

Kate Li

Hi, 

Any further questions?

If so, come back here and I am always here to help you. 

Kate Li

Friday, November 22, 2013 2:03 AM
  • I think I am all set. 
    Friday, November 22, 2013 1:48 PM