none
Metadata Navigation

Question

• 2007/2010 - no visual upgrade

• Created a term store 
            • Document library - with various content types attached- I've created a metadata column that looks to the term store/term set
            • Enabled the Metadata navigation Feature on the site
            • On library settings I've set the actual term set in the "Metadata navigation settings"

but no Metadata navigation appears....

what's missing?  

---------------------------------

Enable Metadata Navigation and Filtering

The Metadata Navigation and Filtering feature is enabled by default on most sites. If it is not enabled for your site, you can enable it on the Site Features pages for your site.

You must be a Site Owner or a Site Collection Administrator to enable Metadata Navigation and Filtering.

1. On the Site Actions menu, click Site Settings.
            2. Under Site Actions, click Manage site features.
            3. In the Features list, find Metadata Navigation and Filtering, and then click Activate.

Configure Metadata Navigation

You must have a least the Manage Lists permission level to configure metadata navigation for a list or library.

1. Go to the list or library for which you want to configure metadata navigation.
            2. Click the List or Library tab of the ribbon, and then click List Settings or Library Settings.
            3. Under General Settings, click Metadata navigation settings.
            4. In the Configure Navigation Hierarchies section, select the field or fields you want to display in the navigation hierarchy and then click Add.
            5. By default, Folders are automatically displayed in the navigation hierarchy. If you do not want folders to display, select Folders, and then click Remove.
            6. Repeat step 4 to add additional fields.
        • In the Configure Key Filters section, select the fields you want to add as Key Filters, and then click Add.
      • In the Configure automatic column indexing for this list, specify whether you want to automatically create indices on this list to increase the performance of the queries that users will perform when they use the Navigation Hierarchy and Key Filter columns you've specified. It is recommended that you select the optionAutomatically manage column indices on this list.
    • Click OK.

• Edited by JmATK Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:26 AM dfsafg
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:22 AM

Answers

• Hi jmATK,

I understand that you upgrade SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 without "visual upgrade", then enable the site feature "Metadata Navigation and Filtering", then configure the "Metadata navigation settings" for a library, but it couldn't be displayed under the Quick Launch on that library view page (e.g. AllItems.aspx).

Did this issue happen to all libraries?

Please try deactivate and re-activate this site feature "Metadata Navigation and Filtering", and check if it helps.

Please also test this feature in another site with visual upgraded and another new site collection, and check results again.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JmATK Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi jmATK,

I understand that you upgrade SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 without "visual upgrade", then enable the site feature "Metadata Navigation and Filtering", then configure the "Metadata navigation settings" for a library, but it couldn't be displayed under the Quick Launch on that library view page (e.g. AllItems.aspx).

Did this issue happen to all libraries?

Please try deactivate and re-activate this site feature "Metadata Navigation and Filtering", and check if it helps.

Please also test this feature in another site with visual upgraded and another new site collection, and check results again.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JmATK Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi Daniel

Thanks for your answer, 

I've tried to create a standard team site - and it Works there...so I'm leaning towards the master page /page layout (which is custom) as the problem.

so I will push the use until we are on SP 2013.. :)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:52 PM