none
Can I use regular expressions to remove part of a recipient's address on a hub transport server?

Question

• I'd like to implement "minus addressing" via a hub transport rule. It seems to me that I should be able to write a rule that would parse the envelope recipient "nick.burns--abc123@contoso.com" and remove the string --* (or in regex terms, --\w+) from the envelope header, and deliver the email to nick.burns@contoso.com. (I'm using double dashes because we already have legitimate addresses containing a single dash.) Is there a way to do this with a hub transport rule? (I don't have an edge server.) Surely I'm not the first person to want this, but I can't find diddly on the internet on this subject. TIA.

Saturday, March 03, 2012 6:28 PM

Answers

• On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:25:21 +0000, Vic Walton wrote:

>Because what I'm trying to accomplish is to allow my users to make up valid SMTP addresses on the fly, as they need them, with their actual address as part of the name. That's what minus-addressing is all about.

Plan B is SendMail PostFix, or some other MTA in front of your
    Exchange server.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:05 PM

All replies

• By the sounds of it it seems like you're trying to do an address-rewrite, this isn't possible by using a transport rule.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996806.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123966.aspx

Sukh

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:09 PM
  • On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 18:28:12 +0000, Vic Walton wrote:

>I'd like to implement "minus addressing" via a hub transport rule. It seems to me that I should be able to write a rule that would parse the envelope recipient "nick.burns--abc123@contoso.com" and remove the string --* (or in regex terms, --\w+) from the envelope header, and deliver the email to nick.burns@contoso.com. (I'm using double dashes because we already have legitimate addresses containing a single dash.) Is there a way to do this with a hub transport rule? (I don't have an edge server.) Surely I'm not the first person to want this, but I can't find diddly on the internet on this subject. TIA.

Why not just add the additional address to the mailboxes? Doing that
    with an email address policy should work.

You'd need an edge server role to do address rewriting.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, March 03, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Thanks. I had a feeling I would need an Edge Transport Server. I'll move on to Plan B.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Because what I'm trying to accomplish is to allow my users to make up valid SMTP addresses on the fly, as they need them, with their actual address as part of the name. That's what minus-addressing is all about.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:25 PM
  • On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:25:21 +0000, Vic Walton wrote:

>Because what I'm trying to accomplish is to allow my users to make up valid SMTP addresses on the fly, as they need them, with their actual address as part of the name. That's what minus-addressing is all about.

Plan B is SendMail PostFix, or some other MTA in front of your
    Exchange server.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:05 PM