none
Is there a way to exclude those temp folders with random letters and numbers from a USMT capture?

Question

• You guys know what I'm talking about right? Every time Windows update runs it extracts updates to some temp folder comprised of a bunch of random letters and numbers to the root of the drive with the most free space. They look something like this:

"3484446799878760c8770aaa6c"

They are becoming problematic as they are getting captured by USMT and migrated during a fresh OS deployment. Is there a scanstate/loadstate switch switch I can use or some way I can tweak my XML templates to exclude these folders?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• Not that one, but I was using the below templates...  and simple adding a few lines to check for folders with more than 24 characters, having alphanumeric characters and in the xml update case a specific file that was leftover in the folder. I had also to reset permissions on the folder before I could have the script deleting it.

MMS 2008 and TechEd 2008 North America Sample Files
    http://www.deployvista.com/Blog/tabid/70/EntryID/58/language/en-US/Default.aspx

/ Johan

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Monday, February 07, 2011 5:13 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:06 AM

All replies

• I have only seen a few of these folders being left over, especially the msxml updates. I have used scripts to delete them after the Windows Update Action is completed. Then they won't be included. You can also delete them prior to running the USMT capture.

/ Johan

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I have only seen a few of these folders being left over, especially the msxml updates. I have used scripts to delete them after the Windows Update Action is completed. Then they won't be included. You can also delete them prior to running the USMT capture.

/ Johan

You have a link to your cleanup script?
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Not that one, but I was using the below templates...  and simple adding a few lines to check for folders with more than 24 characters, having alphanumeric characters and in the xml update case a specific file that was leftover in the folder. I had also to reset permissions on the folder before I could have the script deleting it.

/ Johan

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Monday, February 07, 2011 5:13 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:06 AM

/ Johan

Wow, thats like a really clever solution. I never thought to make a script to check for a 24 alphanumeric character folder.... I just assumed something like that would backfire. I guess without the check for that specific file leftover though it could right? I'll check out your link.

Thanks Johan.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Any chance those scripts were saved elsewhere?  That site seems to have gone the way of the dodo.
    Monday, February 11, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Any chance those scripts were saved elsewhere?  That site seems to have gone the way of the dodo.
    I wound up not using them, so no help here, sorry!
    Monday, February 11, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Zeus did you find a better method?  I'm trying out an XP to Win7 refresh and stuck with all these old folders on the new machines.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hey Josh J,

Unfortunately no! Turns out its really hard to "check" for a folder with a name that is random (LOL)!!! I suppose I was hoping for a bit much when I created this thread, but you never know these things unless you ask right? I've just instructed my helpdesk team to delete those folders manually prior to running USMT.
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:41 PM
  • I've been trying to figure this out for the last day or so and I think I'll be going with the "Delete all folders unless the ones I specify" method.  Now I just need to script it.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:19 PM