none
Error creating a new form in SharePoint 2010 Designer: "Could not save the list changes to the server."

Question

• In ShrarePoint Designer 2010, I deleted a list (named "Customer Service Issues") and then created a new list with the same name as the deleted list's name.  Before deleting the original list, I was able to create new forms (i.e., in SharePoint Designer, in the tab for the new list, in the "Forms" group, I would select "New...", and then I would fill out the "Create New List Form" dialog box).  Now, when I try to create a new form in the new list, I fill out the "Create New List Form" dialog box, select "OK", and I get this error:  "Could not save the list changes to the server."  In the "Create New List Form" dialog box, there is a section labeled "Advanced form options" with this field label:  "Select the Content Type to use:" which has this in the field:  "Customer Service Issues" (which is a valid Content Type).

Why can't I create new forms?

Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:54 PM

Answers

• I found a workaround.  I deleted the new list and then deleted the associated content type.  I deleted them from the recycle bin (note:  the content type could not be deleted until the original deleted list was first removed from the recyle bin).  I recreated the list and the content type.  Now I can create new forms once again.  I tried to recreate the error (by deleting the new list) but could not.  I suspect that I could have solved the problem by removing the deleted list from the recycle bin, then deleting and recreating the associated content type without having to delete the new list.

• Marked as answer by Clayton Cobb Friday, April 01, 2011 3:44 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:44 PM

All replies

• I found a workaround.  I deleted the new list and then deleted the associated content type.  I deleted them from the recycle bin (note:  the content type could not be deleted until the original deleted list was first removed from the recyle bin).  I recreated the list and the content type.  Now I can create new forms once again.  I tried to recreate the error (by deleting the new list) but could not.  I suspect that I could have solved the problem by removing the deleted list from the recycle bin, then deleting and recreating the associated content type without having to delete the new list.

• Marked as answer by Clayton Cobb Friday, April 01, 2011 3:44 AM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:44 PM
  • I got the same error message when trying to add a new form to an External List.  I tried:

-deleting and recreating the list
    -deleting and recreating the list and the external content type
    -deleting the list and the external content type, and recreating with a different list name
    -deleting and recreating the list and the ECT on a different site collection, without setting a title field or a limit filter

No luck with any of those.  Finally, I added a row of data to my SQ table (which had been empty).  That didn't work at first, but I deleted and recreated the list AGAIN with another new, never-before-used list name, and this time I can add forms.

Bah!

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Also, I forgot about Joe's tip to check the Recycle Bin.  I did get it working without emptying the bin, but maybe it would've been easier or faster if I had done that.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:47 PM
  • yup i got that msg too, but when i empty the recycle bin of the site, it get resolved.
    • Proposed as answer by C1pendule Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Friday, April 01, 2011 3:44 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 9:38 AM
  • The gig with the recycle bin works. Thnx.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:54 PM