none
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 blacK Screen Of Death (KSOD) after applying Oct 2013 patches

Question

• Hi all!

2 days after applying 21 oct '13 MS patches on our production server running 2008 r2 sp1 the server booted into a typical 'Press Ctrl-Alt-Del' screen, but after we're pressing it it goes into a blank black screen with only a mouse pointer, the same happens in Safe Mode/Debugging/Last Known Good Configuration. RDP stopped working either. Meanwhile the services (SMB, DNS, DHCP, AD, Hyper-V, etc) seems to be working normally.

Tried tons of things found on the net, like replacing utilman.exe with cmd.exe - got into a command prompt but that didn't helped much.

Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:15 PM

Answers

• I've been able to solve the problem ONLY by reverting to a backup copy of system registry - apparently it was damaged somehow.

To do that - I've rebooted in 'Repair your computer' mode and in command line copied all current registry files for backup purposes (my system drive in repair mode was detected as F:) and replaced current SOFTWARE and SYSTEM hives by a backup copies:

f: cd \windows\system32\config\
    md REG_BACK_FAULTY copy *.* \REG_BACK_FAULTY\ copy .\RegBack\SYSTEM SYSTEM /y copy .\RegBack\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE /y

rebooted the system and successfully got to a logon screen at last without the KSOD.

Off-course there were side effects, like i needed to Activate the system again and needed to re-install some software and updates.

• Marked as answer by ChiefMC Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:11 AM
    • Edited by ChiefMC Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi

Enable the boot logging and go read the file after. In cmd or with a bootable CD.

It will list all servcie that start, and what service that does not start. From there after you can use a bootable cd troubleshooting more, or to desactivate some service.

Regards, Philippe

Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:28 AM
  • Hi Philippe!

Thanks for your response!

I did a boot log, but ntbtlog.txt only shows drivers being loaded or not loaded and is not really helpful. There're no obvious problems on it as far as i can tell.

I executed 'sfc /scannow', which made some corrections, but it didn't help at all - still black screen after Ctrl-Alt-Del.

More suggestions?

Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:46 PM
  • I've been able to solve the problem ONLY by reverting to a backup copy of system registry - apparently it was damaged somehow.

To do that - I've rebooted in 'Repair your computer' mode and in command line copied all current registry files for backup purposes (my system drive in repair mode was detected as F:) and replaced current SOFTWARE and SYSTEM hives by a backup copies:

f: cd \windows\system32\config\
    md REG_BACK_FAULTY copy *.* \REG_BACK_FAULTY\ copy .\RegBack\SYSTEM SYSTEM /y copy .\RegBack\SOFTWARE SOFTWARE /y

rebooted the system and successfully got to a logon screen at last without the KSOD.

Off-course there were side effects, like i needed to Activate the system again and needed to re-install some software and updates.

• Marked as answer by ChiefMC Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:11 AM
    • Edited by ChiefMC Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that and thanks for your share as it would be greatly helpful to anyone who has similar issues.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:29 AM