none
Can't find how to edit the Quick Launch items

Question

• I am just moving to Sharepoint 2013 and have come across an issue where I can't the area to edit the Quick Launch area.  In itmes I have found on the web, I have seen two different areas realted to this which I don't have on my site:

1) One posting listed an "Edit Links" link in the Quick Launch itself.  I don't have this.

2) Under the Site Settings --> Look and Feel there is a "Quick Launch" link (just like in Sharepoint 2010).  There is no such option for me.

Of note, on my Site Settings --> Look and Feel --> Navigation page, it has the following selected for the area that looks to be the Quick Launch:

Structural Navigation: Display only the navigation items below the current site  (and the Show subsites and Show Pages chackboxes are selected).  The other "Structural Navigation" option is disabled.

What am I missing?  Do we not have something configured.  I would think the ability to edit the Qucik Launch area would be available OOTB.

Thanks - Peter

Friday, September 20, 2013 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• When the Manage Navigation and Filtering site feature and publishing is enabled, it replaces the quick launch with structural Navigation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn194311.aspx

Friday, September 20, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Turisman - Thanks for the reply.  I am a bit confused though.  Our Navigation (as defined on the Navigation page) does not use Managed Navigation for either the Global Navigation (top part) nor the Current Navigation (quick launch area).  They both use the Structural Navigation.  The link you added went over my head, but I didn't see any reference for how it impacted the Quick Launch area.  So I am still unsure how I can update the quick launch area. 
    Friday, September 20, 2013 4:54 PM
  • It's over my head too, I just know that will replace your quick launch bar :).
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:04 PM
  • But again, we are NOT using Managed Navigation for the Quick Launch area (as far as the Site Settings --> Navigation page indicates) so I am unsure if you feel I can't get where I want to go because you thought we were using managed navigation or I am not understanding what you are trying to tell me.  We have the Structural Navigation defined for the quick launch area.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:22 PM
  • If publishing feature is enabled then you will get site settings--> Navigation.
    It might be enabled for u that's why u r getting navigation otherwise u will get quick launch. Using navigation also u can change/edit left navigation
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:37 PM
  • When the Manage Navigation and Filtering site feature and publishing is enabled, it replaces the quick launch with structural Navigation.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn194311.aspx

That's what I said here :). publishing enabled on the site collection removes the quick launch bar option. Which to edit the quick launch bar now you have to edit the "Current Navigation" settings under the Navigation link under Look and Feel.

The reason you don't have the edit link directly on the page is due to a template issue from upgrade or something, some of my sites have this issue and I haven't figured out how to get it added to some of my sites, but it's due to site customizations somehow.

• Edited by Turismon Friday, September 20, 2013 5:49 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  This is a very confusing issue.  I was finally about to get the Quick Launch link under Site Settings by turning off Publishing for the site and site collections (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/enable-publishing-features-HA102802294.aspx).  I still don't get the "Edit Links" link though but I guess that is okay since I get the other item under Site Settings.
    • Marked as answer by Peter Len Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:02 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:02 AM