none
MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM question

Question

• LDM is at 88%. 

All the docs I can find reference moving all data sources on a disk to new disk. My situation is to move a couple of data sources to a new (not empty) disk to consolidate the extents. [NOTE: Mike Jacquet told me not to run the manual shrink script too much!!!]

I think I have figured out how to narrow the data sources down (using $_.computer and $_.name) but what I am wondering is how can I determine the size of the replicas to know if the destination has enough free space to hold them. Or am I making this harder than I need to? When I look at the disks I see one of the data sources listed on multiple disks in the admin console. 

The blog post from Robert Kierzek on the subject is clear (http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/06/22/how-to-use-the-migratedatasourcedatafromdpm-ps1-dpm-powershell-script-to-move-data.aspx) but his followup post (Data source to disk migration) was never done, from what I can find. Either he lost interest or became too overwhelmed with DPM "idiosyncrasies".   ;-)

Thanks for any insight.

Bobby Hilliard

Atlanta, Ga.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You are making it harder than it is.  If you highlight the data source under protection, whatever the size of the replica and recovery point volumes are is how much free space you need in the storage pool to migrate.  When specify the output you can use an array so  replica and recovery point go on separate disks for performance reasons.

BASICS FOR MIGRATING A DATA SOURCE TO DISK ARRAY (The first element of the array is the destination replica volume and the second the recovery point volume. )

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup DPMTestServer
    $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[0]
    $disk = Get-DPMDisk –DPMServerName DPMTestServer
    $array = @($disk[0],$disk[1])
    ./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 –DPMServerName DPMTestServer –Source $ds[0] –Destination $array

Below is actual working example.

In this example, I move a single data source to a disk array so I have replica and recovery point volume on separate disks.
    NOTE: For co-located datasource, ALL datasoures located on the source replica will be migrated to destination replica.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $pg=get-protectiongroup -DPMServerName mjlc-dpm2012

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $pg

Name                                                                            Protection method
    ----                                                                            -----------------
    win2012-BMR                                                                     Short-term using disk
    CLIENT                                                                          Short-term using disk
    E14-dag                                                                         Short-term using disk
    SQL-MIRROR                                                                      Short-term using disk
    sharepoint                                                                      Short-term using disk
    SQL                                                                             Short-term using disk | Long-term using tape

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $ds=get-datasource $pg[1]
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $ds

Computer                                              Name                                                 Type
    --------                                              ----                                                 ----
    MJLC-WIN7                                             User data                                            Disconnected Client
    MJLC-WIN8                                             User data                                            Disconnected Client
    MJLC-WIN8-1                                           User data                                            Disconnected Client

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk=get-dpmdisk -DPMServerName mjlc-dpm2012

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk

Name                       Status                                       NtDiskId             Total Capacity         Unallocated Space Type
    ----                       ------                                       --------             --------------         ----------------- ----
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             2                    2040 GB                   2040 GB Dynamic
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             3                     127 GB                     32 GB Dynamic
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             4                     127 GB                     37 GB Dynamic
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             5                     127 GB                    127 GB Dynamic
    Virtual HD ATA Device      Healthy                                             1                     127 GB                      0 GB Dynamic

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $array=@($disk[0],$disk[3])
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $array

Name                       Status                                       NtDiskId             Total Capacity         Unallocated Space Type
    ----                       ------                                       --------             --------------         ----------------- ----
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             2                    2040 GB                   2040 GB Dynamic
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             5                     127 GB                    127 GB Dynamic

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.ps1 -dpmservername mjlc-dpm2012 -source $ds[0] -destination $array

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You are making it harder than it is.  If you highlight the data source under protection, whatever the size of the replica and recovery point volumes are is how much free space you need in the storage pool to migrate.  When specify the output you can use an array so  replica and recovery point go on separate disks for performance reasons.

BASICS FOR MIGRATING A DATA SOURCE TO DISK ARRAY (The first element of the array is the destination replica volume and the second the recovery point volume. )

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup DPMTestServer
    $ds = Get-Datasource $pg[0]
    $disk = Get-DPMDisk –DPMServerName DPMTestServer
    $array = @($disk[0],$disk[1])
    ./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 –DPMServerName DPMTestServer –Source $ds[0] –Destination $array

Below is actual working example.

In this example, I move a single data source to a disk array so I have replica and recovery point volume on separate disks.
    NOTE: For co-located datasource, ALL datasoures located on the source replica will be migrated to destination replica.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $pg=get-protectiongroup -DPMServerName mjlc-dpm2012

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $pg

Name                                                                            Protection method
    ----                                                                            -----------------
    win2012-BMR                                                                     Short-term using disk
    CLIENT                                                                          Short-term using disk
    E14-dag                                                                         Short-term using disk
    SQL-MIRROR                                                                      Short-term using disk
    sharepoint                                                                      Short-term using disk
    SQL                                                                             Short-term using disk | Long-term using tape

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $ds=get-datasource $pg[1]
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $ds

Computer                                              Name                                                 Type
    --------                                              ----                                                 ----
    MJLC-WIN7                                             User data                                            Disconnected Client
    MJLC-WIN8                                             User data                                            Disconnected Client
    MJLC-WIN8-1                                           User data                                            Disconnected Client

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk=get-dpmdisk -DPMServerName mjlc-dpm2012

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk

Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             3                     127 GB                     32 GB Dynamic
    Msft Virtual Disk SCSI ... Healthy                                             4                     127 GB                     37 GB Dynamic
    Virtual HD ATA Device      Healthy                                             1                     127 GB                      0 GB Dynamic

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $array=@($disk[0],$disk[3])
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> $array

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> migratedatasourcedatafromdpm.ps1 -dpmservername mjlc-dpm2012 -source $ds[0] -destination $array

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Your clarification is always welcomed. Thanks a lot.
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Mike: Does the destination disks have to be blank?

If I was to migrate one datasource/PG after another, there wouldnt be issues 'appending' them to the same set of disks?

Ivarson

Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:40 AM
  • Hi,

There are no restriction on the destination disk as long as A) It is different than the source disk and B) the destination disk has adequate free space to hold what you are migrating.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:53 AM