none
BSOD DPC watchdog violation error

Question

• Hello everyone, my laptop keeps freezing and showing the BSOD dpc watchdog violation error. I tried to update my hard drive firmware but it didn't help. I have also tried to open the dump files but obviously wasn't able to understand anything! I attached the latest generated dump file. There's also another dump file was generated called MEMORY in C:\windows.

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=C3414E181875FB32&resid=C3414E181875FB32%21170&authkey=ADt93fL524smfDw

https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=C3414E181875FB32&resid=C3414E181875FB32%21171&authkey=AFB04CEhdK1PyO0

It happens from time to time for no reason, I don't plug or unplug any device, but it is still crashing, even if I am not using any heavy app or game.

Please guys, any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:16 AM

Answers

• ok. The hotfix check for Server 2012. Change the values your self (the hotfix only changes some registry values)

<registryKey keyName="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Kernel" owner="false">
          <registryValue name="DpcWatchdogPeriod" valueType="REG_DWORD" value="0x0003a980" operationHint="replace" owner="true" />
          <registryValue name="DpcTimeout" valueType="REG_DWORD" value="0x00000000" operationHint="replace" owner="true" />
        </registryKey>

So go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Kernel and set both values to they values (hex, not decimal) shown above.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:06 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The crash happens because of the ACPI.sys driver:

*******************************************************************************
    *                                                                             *
    *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
    *                                                                             *
    *******************************************************************************

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
    The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL
    or above.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000001, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at
    	DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The offending component can usually be
    	identified with a stack trace.
    Arg2: 0000000000000780, The watchdog period.
    Arg3: 0000000000000000
    Arg4: 0000000000000000

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

DPC_TIMEOUT_TYPE:  DPC_QUEUE_EXECUTION_TIMEOUT_EXCEEDED

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x133

PROCESS_NAME:  System

CURRENT_IRQL:  d

STACK_TEXT:  
    nt!KeBugCheckEx
    nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'
    nt!KeUpdateRunTime
    hal!HalpTimerClockInterrupt
    nt!KiInterruptDispatchLBControl
    hal!HalpAcpiPmRegisterWritePort
    hal!HalpAcpiPmRegisterWrite
    ACPI!ACPIWriteGpeEnableRegister
    ACPI!ACPIGpeEnableDisableEvents
    ACPI!ACPIVectorDisable
    ACPI!ACPIEcServiceDevice
    ACPI!ACPIEcGpeServiceRoutine
    ACPI!ACPIInterruptDispatchEventDpc
    nt!KiExecuteAllDpcs
    nt!KiRetireDpcList
    nt!KiIdleLoop

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x133_ISR_ACPI!ACPIWriteGpeEnableRegister

BUCKET_ID:  0x133_ISR_ACPI!ACPIWriteGpeEnableRegister

Loaded symbol image file: ACPI.sys
        Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ACPI.sys
        Image name: ACPI.sys
        Timestamp:        Thu Sep 20 08:09:16 2012

Because this a MS driver, you can't "fix" it. Try this hotfix (also applies to Windows 8 x64) to extend the time before the DPC watchdog bugcheck is raised:

You receive a "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)" Stop error message on a Windows Server 2012-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2789962/en-us

After you install the update, the DPC watchdog time-out period is extended.

Does this help?

Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks very much Andre for your fast response. I requested the Hotfix file and while installing it told me that the update is not applicable to my computer. When I requested the Hotfix, there's only one file shows up for Windows 8 RTM but I have Windows 8 Pro! I was wondering if there's any other solution.

Also, last time and the only time I tried to install windows updates, it took forever after the first restart and I think it froze, I canceled the update and since that time I turned off windows updates. Do you think windows updates may help?

Thanks

Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:57 PM
  • ok. The hotfix check for Server 2012. Change the values your self (the hotfix only changes some registry values)

<registryKey keyName="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Kernel" owner="false">
          <registryValue name="DpcWatchdogPeriod" valueType="REG_DWORD" value="0x0003a980" operationHint="replace" owner="true" />
          <registryValue name="DpcTimeout" valueType="REG_DWORD" value="0x00000000" operationHint="replace" owner="true" />
        </registryKey>

So go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Kernel and set both values to they values (hex, not decimal) shown above.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:06 AM
    Answerer
  • I am sorry, but I was wondering which file needs to be edited? and should I just copy and paste the table above or do I need to change values?
    Monday, December 17, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Don't edit a file, use regedit to change the values on your Windows 8.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Got you, I opened Kernal, but I don't have a file called DpcWatchdogPeriod, here's a picture of files that I have.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C3414E181875FB32!172&authkey=!ANWE34yUpKkXqP8

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:16 AM
  • create the 2 values (DWORD 32Bit) if you can't see them.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much, I created both of them and now I am waiting for results. I will keep you updated. Thank you again.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Does it work now?
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:22 PM
  • With KB2836988 MS reduced the number of DPC_Watchdog crashes.

If the hotfix doesn't solve it, check the dump and look which driver is causing it.

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:36 AM
    Answerer