none
how to move from hyper-v to another node failover cluster

Question

• hi all,

I have newly created a 5 node hyper-V failover cluster with CSV disks on it.

now I have other 4 servers where only Hyper-V is installed.

so is it possible to move all virtual machines from hyper-V  to failover clusters

Note: I can make 4 hyper-V servers as failover cluster, but I don't want to do it since in storage there is separate lun is created for each virtual machines. also separate lun for additional Disk for virtual machine. once I move to failover cluster, I can put all VMs in one CSV in new failover cluster.

let me know if anything

thank you,

-parkar

UAE

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can export the virtual machines from Hyper-V and then import them in any node in the cluster. 

but import the virtual machine in CSV disks. 

then from hyper-cluster choose configure role and choose virtual machine. 

then you will see all your virtual machines imported in hyper-V. 

choose the virtual machine that you want to configure as high available.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Hi Parker,

As mentioned in the previous comment, exporting is one option.

However, If you are using Pass-through disks, You need to take care of that separately. Exporting will move only the VM and its VHDx fiels.  The pass through disk should be added to new cluster and once the VM is moved, you need to configure the pass through disk again.

If you don't have a pass-through disk, the simplest method is shared nothing live migration. You can move a VM directly from one node to another node with out a downtime.

Check this page for more details - technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831435.aspx

Cheers ! Shaba

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

To move or copy a VM from one Hyper-V host to another, each VM must go through an export and import process. The initial stage of this procedure requires you to export the VM from the old host. by doing this, you create a copy of its configuration and ivirtual hard disks as well as any snapshots to a location that you identify during the export.

Once the export is complete, a subsequent import is required to associate that VM with its new host.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Gaur

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Gaur001 Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:25 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

here is the steps.

1- Export your all Virtual machine from hyper-V servers to one location. 

2- Go you your one of the cluster node acess the virtual machine location and copy to that local server.

3- open hyper-V manager and click on Import, select the restore option from wizard as you want to change the path of these virtual machine to shared storage.

4- Your vm will be exported in this hyper-V node, now open the failover cluster manager

5- Right click on roles and select configure roles.

6- choose the Virtual machine click on next.

7- here you will able to see the exported virtual machine click on them and click on next

8- your vm is now highly available through failover cluster . :) 

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Gaur

Ashish Gaur

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Gaur001 Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:19 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:19 AM
  • hi

thank you all for replies. i agree to export options.

but i did some checking. and this is what i found.

i went to one node in failover clusters setup. and opened Hyper-V manager. and connected to another hyper-V server which is not in cluster.

once added all virtual machines i can see inside hyper-V manager. i write click the machine and click on Move.  it gave me error . it said 'live migration is not enabled on this computer'. which is correct. so i went to hyper-V server and enabled live migration and added network. which is same public network.

once i am back in cluster hyper-v server. i started again to move virtual machine. i can see that i can choose destination computer as hyper-V cluster server node. and put it in clusterstorage space.

On the wizard i can choose 'under choose move type' = Move the virtual machine

destination computer = hyper-V cluster node server (fqdn)

choose move options =  i am not sure about it but i choose "Move the virtual machines data to single location' (tell me what to chose)

destination location = clusterstorage\volume1\(vmname)

so is it like same as export? or will it work on running machines

--noor

Friday, November 15, 2013 11:59 AM
  • If your Hyper-V systems are 2012 or higher, then you can use that "Move" option. It's called "Shared Nothing Live Migration", and it does not require that the VM be taken offline at all. Export/import is only necessary if the systems are Hyper-V 2008 R2 or earlier or if any of the hosts are not domain-joined.

Yes, you will choose to move all data to a single location, unless you can think of a specific reason to split it up. There may be some additional steps you need to take before it will move. This article has the details you need.

Eric Siron Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.
    "Every relationship you have is in worse shape than you think."

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:48 PM
  • HI ,

I am trying to move, I am getting following error. I found from other blog, if name of virtual switch is different then it will fail. so I changed the name of the virtual switch in hyper-v settings. I am trying to move from source i.e hyper-V server to move VM to destination server using domain admin account.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:53 AM
  • Hi parkar,

are you sure that destination server is enough capable to take this load ?

as per the error it seems that destination server is not ready or may not enough hardware resource to support this vm. 

Can you please check and revert if this is the case.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Gaur

Ashish Gaur

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:31 AM
  • hi,

source and destination exactly the same hardware. there are resources no problem. .

actually problem is virtual switch configuration. the moment I disconnect virtual switch in the source server, I can move the VM to destination server.

I have moved three virtual machines to destination server fine.

the problem is when I disconnect virtualswitch in VM settings. it is downtime. and ping to VM is breaking.

but VM will move.

so when I keep virtual switch connected it will give above error.

the networking is changed in the destination server. it is not as per the source hyper-V server. I just changed Virtual switch name on both servers to be same. when I am selecting 'not connected' in VM settings. VM will move fine.

--parkar

UAE

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:26 PM