none
Server 2008 R2 - Becomes slow / non-responsive, then okay for 2-3 weeks after a reboot

Question

• Running Server 2008 R2. It runs great for about 2, 3 weeks and then just slows to a complete halt, where it takes over 10 minutes once you press on anything (start menu, windows explorer, any program) till it opens.

Once you reboot, it works like a champ for 3 weeks and then same issue. I'm happy to post any logs, I'm not sure where to start.

The computer doesn't have malware, I've scanned with several a/v vendors .dat files (only running 1 anti-virus [VIPRE] at a time, just have scanned with others).

Any ideas? What information can I provide to get more help with this issue?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For such kind of issue, it may take some time to narrow down the cause as the issue cannot be reproduced easily.

Please try to monitor your Resource Monitor for system resource, like memory and CPU. See if any process is eating your system resource and finally causes the issue.

Also it could be caused if by specific program such as backup, antivirus, disk management programs. Check if any scheduled task is started or any program starts running before the issue occurs. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 13, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

For such kind of issue, it may take some time to narrow down the cause as the issue cannot be reproduced easily.

Please try to monitor your Resource Monitor for system resource, like memory and CPU. See if any process is eating your system resource and finally causes the issue.

Also it could be caused if by specific program such as backup, antivirus, disk management programs. Check if any scheduled task is started or any program starts running before the issue occurs. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

That's the odd thing. None of them seem to spike. At least what I am seeing. The problem occurred Tuesday morning.

Friday, September 13, 2013 11:16 AM
  • Friday, September 13, 2013 11:18 AM