none
Windows Server 2012 R2 "Your PC needs to restart" error.

Question

• Hi guys. I'm hoping someone might have an answer to this issue I'm having.

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 on our RDS Server, But on every DVD boot, just after the "Loading Files" screen, the following error flickers on the screen and the server restarts:

Your PC needs to restart.

Please hold down the power button.

Error Code: 0x000000C4

Parameters:

0x0000000000000091

0x000000000000000F

0xFFFFF800D1B62A80

0x0000000000000000

Some background information on the server.
    It's a custom build using a Intel Server Board SE7520BD2, two 3.4GHz 64Bit XEON processors, and 6GB of ram. It's just had a new 500GB HDD fitted for the purpose of installing the new OS.
    The server can and was running Windows Server 2012 fine with no issues, So I don't know if R2 has a different set of specs to run, although I haven't seen anything posted anywhere.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Joe.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

Firstly, please let us know if you perform upgrading or a clean installation of Windows Server 2012 R2.

Meanwhile, please apply this Hotfix in your Windows Server 2012 and see how it works.

"0x000000C4" Stop error after you restart a Windows 7-based, Windows 8-based, Windows Server 2008 R2-based or Windows Server 2012-based computer that has the Driver Verifier tool enabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2816159

More information:

System Requirements and Installation Information for Windows Server 2012 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn303418.aspx

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Hi, I have tried both clean install and upgrade, and both have produced the same error. With the hotfix, should I apply it to Windows Server 2012 and then try upgrading again? Thanks for the specification list, I've just had a quick look through it and everything appears to be met. I also looked at the Compatability Report that the setup made on 2012 and that is showing no issues either, so I'm a little stumped on this one! I'll give that hotfix a go later on and post back my results. Thanks! Joe.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:30 AM
  • Hi again! I tried that hotfix lastnight but the setup keeps failing with the same error. When I first tried installing it the compatability report said something about the SCSI driver needs updating, but i couldn't find a newer one and as i don't use SCSI on this server I turned it off in the BIOS. Since then the compatability report hasn't mentioned it but I'm starting to think that could be why this error is occuring. I can't see any other reason. If this is the case, how can I get around it?
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Hello

I am sorry for my English.

A have same problem "Your PC needs to restart." and same motherboard SE7520BD2.

Do you have any idia for resolve this problem?

Aleksey.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:59 AM