Unable to register Essentials Experience role with Microsoft online services

Question

• I have installed the Essentials Experience role on a RTM 2012R2 server.

The role has configured correctly but when I try to connect it with our online exchange I receive the following error...

Service Integration

This task must be performed on the domain controller

I have tried this with the server as a member server and as a DC.

Domain has multiples sites each with a DC.

Any help would be appreciated

Alistair Colville

Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to refer to the following article to install and configure the Essentials Experience role and then try it again to see if it could help.

Installing and Configuring the Windows Server Essentials Experience role

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/09/16/installing-and-configuring-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role.aspx

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:33 AM
  • Andy,

I had already seen that post - It describes how to install the role and how to run the initial configuration.

But it does not describe the post configuration tasks! At the end of the configuration we are presented with a list of additional configurations, one of which is to integrate with Office 365.

But when I run this I get the "This task must be performed on the domain controller"

I have done extensive searches for this, but nothing comes up!

The error does not really help to pinpoint exactly what is going wrong!

Best regards,

Alistair Colville

Monday, September 23, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Can you post up the role log file please?

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:06 AM
  • I assume you mean the role log in the roles section - this is empty! There are no events in the event log either.

The same error occurs for any of the services eg intune, azure etc

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:03 PM
  • I have the file but it is too large to post and I cannot work out how to add attachment!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Put it in a skydrive or shared cloud location and put the url/link here.

Don't Retire TechNet

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Long day yesterday, struggling with pbx's - didn't think of that!

Logs are uploaded here

http://sdrv.ms/18rJ4qP

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:28 PM
  • This is still preventing me from evaluating the essentials role, from the lack of search results either the issue is unique to my environment, or there are very few installs of the essentials role. Maybe it we be resolved in the general availability build... In the meantime if anyone has any clues as to what might be happening let me know ! Alistair
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Same thing here - but when trying to integrate with on premise Exchange.

The only thing I did that might be considered out of the norm was to cancel the Essentials configuration wizard when Windows was first installed and then DC promo it to an existing domain ...... as part of a test migration from SBS2008. This was one of the procedures detailed on an MS article and about 95% of our customers will be in this scenario so I'd like to think there will be a fix for this.............

Thursday, October 03, 2013 8:12 AM
  • That would fit with my experience.

We had an SBS 2011 server. We had already moved sharepoint onto a separate server and Exchange to online, so when the server broke it was retired. We already have other DC's so the FSMO roles were seized and everything is working.

My suspicion is that there is some remnant of the original SBS sever (meta data has been cleansed) which the Essentials Role is detecting and then complaining about as it needs to be the only Essentials server.

So, anyone know what the role is checking for, or where the SBS 2011 AD entries might be?

Friday, October 04, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Can one of you guys email me at susan-at-msmvps.com so I can open a support case?  I don't know what's going wrong here.

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, October 04, 2013 8:07 PM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn387077.aspx

The Windows Server Essentials Experience only works in a single-domain
    environment that does not include a read-only domain controller. There
    is no workaround at this time.

Don't Retire TechNet

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:08 PM
  • This does not apply to my setup!

I have a single domain, three sites, each site has a Full DC (not read only)

I think there are remnants of our old SBS install which the role is detecting and this is blocking the service configuration.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Nor mine, which  was a clean SBS2008 test environment which I then joined the Essentials server to. I made it into a DC then decommissioned the SBS and removed it. The next step in the article I read was to complete the (hitherto cancelled) Essentials wizard - which went OK. It is only when you try to do anything further that you get this error....in my case, trying to add an on premise exchange server.
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Trying to get clarification from the powers that be.  It appears that not only is the requirement for a single domain, but a single DC.  Hang loose while I get confirmation.

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:04 PM
  • .....mine was a single DC - by the end of the exercise at least....
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:07 PM
  • We know for sure it works in single DC setups.  Did you do a dcdiag to see if there was something leftover?

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:12 PM
  • That did it - there was a reference to the old DC but DCpromo'd again and it came up clean - thanks!
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:38 PM
  • That really would not be good! There must be plenty situations where there is a second DC. What about adding to an existing domain? The role would have to be on the only DC?? Why then gave the role? Interesting to see the reply!
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:52 PM
  • This Release Notes refers to "Single Domain Environment", which is the limitation of Essentials (as role or SKU).

Please note that "Single Domain Environment" is not the same thing as "Single Domain Controller Environment".

Services Integration Features like "Integrate with Azure Active Directory", "Integrate with Office 365", "Integrate with Windows Intune" and "Integrate with Exchange", they are supported in Single Domain Controller environment only.

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Services Integration Features like "Integrate with Azure Active Directory", "Integrate with Office 365", "Integrate with Windows Intune" and "Integrate with Exchange", they are supported in Single Domain Controller environment only.

From your description, there seem to be multiple DCs in your environment, which should be the root cause.

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:06 AM
  • Microsoft haven't even finished SBS2011 yet - but seem intent on us building systems with a single point of failure - all over again.

Can we DCPROMO one in afterwards?

Friday, October 11, 2013 8:06 AM
  • According to this multiple DC's are not an issue...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281793.aspx#BKMK_ExistingAD

If you can deploy into an existing AD environment then and have the server on which essentials is deployed be a DC then there will be more than one DC.

"You can also deploy Windows Server Essentials if your business already
    has an existing Active Directory environment. In addition, you can also
    choose if you want to deploy Windows Server Essentials as a domain
    controller."

and from this...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/07/01/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-preview-and-windows-server-essentials-experience-server-role-now-available.aspx

The Windows Server Essentials Experience Server Role         
    In
    the Standard and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2012 R2,
    administrators who want the full features and functionality of Windows
    Server Essentials will be able to add a new server role to the system
    called the Windows Server Essentials Experience.

The
    Windows Server Essentials Experience server role enables all the
    features and dependent services and roles of the Windows Server 2012 R2
    Essentials edition, without the locks and limits that are in place for
    the edition. Enabling or disabling the Windows Server Essentials
    Experience role is as simple as turning it on or off in Server Manager.

This
    change enables not only an easy upgrade path for small businesses who
    want more flexibility, but also offers the following benefits:

• The
        flexibility to implement a Standard or Datacenter edition server
        running the Windows Server Essentials Experience role as a domain member
        rather than as the root domain controller.     
      • The ability to
        add the Windows Server Essentials Experience to an existing domain
        environment that already has multiple servers running Windows Server.     
      • Running
        the Standard or Datacenter editions gives you all the features and
        licensing rights of those operating systems (such as expanded
        virtualization rights and larger hardware configurations).

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Yes - all true, and the procedure in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281793.aspx#BKMK_ExistingAD is the one I followed.

Issue is that when all's said and done, the 'Integrate with...Exchange etc' fails to work after you complete the Essentials Wizard. As soon as you remove any replicas (by DCPROMOing any old DC's out) then it works - so clearly doesn't want to wok with more than one DC.

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:41 AM
  • If that really is the case, then there is no upgrade path from SBS2011 to Essentials 2012R2 (role or Server) for domains with more than one DC. Without the services its pretty useless! Having more than one DC was always supported in SBS.

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Since I can't seem to get anyone from Microsoft to post here, I built a R2 Essentials and added a second DC.  As guys have noted, as long as there is a second DC, those wizards barf.  Will test again with Essentials role/two DCs.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:35 AM
  • And can confirm that with Essentials as a role, it also does not like two domain controllers.  Remove DCs to get it back to one and the wizards will work.  The integration pieces will continue to function if there is a second DC added later, but in order to run the initial wizard, you need a single DC.

:-( Sorry to confirm your findings.  I don't know what the long term plans are to fix this.

I will be investigating the impact to migration and let you know.

Don't Retire TechNet

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:29 AM
  • There is another problem with this too: If you manage to get it up and running with only 1 DC, you can never add an additional DC. If you do, the "Change the Office 365 administrator account" command in the dashboard will give you the same error. This is problematic, as the password policy set by essentials defaults to expiring passwords. You will from time to time therefore need to update the admin account.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:06 AM