none
PPSX open as PPTX in Office 2010 32bit

Question

• I have searched all over the internet and found no solution to this issue, but many are having it.

Here's the scenario...

If I create a PowerPoint slide show and save it as a pps or ppsx, then email it to any of the 1000's of people in my company that are using your products, when they open it, it opens as an editable PowerPoint instead of a Show like it should.

Approximately 6 months ago all of our PCs were upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit systems and our Office 2003 was upgraded to Office 2010 32 bit. Ever since then, this has been happening.

In searching the web, I have found solutions that include changing registry settings on each local computer to try and force the application to do what it is supposed to do automatically, so what's the deal?

The only way we can get a pps or ppsx to open like it should is to save it in a local shared network drive and create a link to it in the email that people have to click or navigate to for it to open instead of double clicking on the attachment in the email...kind of rediculous if you ask me.

Like I said, this has been being kicked around in many forums and nobody has come up with an adequate resolution, so I am looking at you as the developers of the software to fix what was working in the software that was released almost a decade ago that is not working now in your newer releases.

Thanks in advance...

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This is a new feature "Protected View in Office 2010", it's by design, see below content:

• Attachments opened from Outlook 2010. When an attachment is opened from Outlook 2010 it will open in Protected View. Administrators will be able to configure if they want all attachments to open in Protected View or just those sent from senders outside their Exchange environment.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2009/08/13/protected-view-in-office-2010.aspx

Work around:

Method 1: Save .pps/.ppsx file to location hard disk, and open it.

Method 2: Change the values in the following keys by replacing the “/vu” with “/s(without the quotes): 

322756  How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.SlideShow.8\shell\Edit\command\command]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.SlideShow.8\shell\Edit\command\(Default)]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.SlideShow.12\shell\Edit\command\command]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.SlideShow.12\shell\Edit\command\(Default)]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.SlideShowMacroEnabled.12\shell\Edit\command\command]
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.SlideShowMacroEnabled.12\shell\Edit\command\(Default)]

I have tried all of these and they seem to work in my test environment.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:51 AM