none
DPM 2010 Scheduled Jobs Disappear rather than Run

    Question

  • I have a situation where I have a DPM server that appears to be functioning fine, but none of the scheduled jobs run.  No errors are given, there are no Alerts, and there is nothing in the Event log (Application and System) which indicates a failure.  All my Protection Groups show a green tick to indicate that they are fine, but the last successful backup for all of them is Friday the 8th of February.

    If I go to Monitoring and Jobs I see the jobs scheduled, but when the time comes for the job to run, it does not go into the "All jobs in progress", it just merely disappears, like thus:

    Scheduled Tasks Before

    And a few minutes later,

    Scheduled Tasks After

    As you can see, the jobs disappear from the queue, and the total number of jobs decreases accordingly.  These jobs do not go into any of the other 3 Statusses (Completed, Failed or In Progress), they just disappear without a trace.

    There is some unallocated space, albeit not much (Used space: 21 155,05 GB Unallocated space: 469,16 GB). If space was an issue I would expect to see errors to indicate this.

    DPM 2010 running version 3.0.8193.0 (hotfix rollup package 6) using remote instance of SQL 2008 which is functioning fine.  I have tried stopping/starting the services, and even rebooted the server twice.  The remote instance of SQL server is using a domain account as its service account.  There are no pending Windows updates, i.e. it is fully up-to-date.

    The System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 Troubleshooting Guide (July 2010) does not show how to troubleshoot this particular probelm.

    Does anybody know how to resolve this issue or which logs might help me troubleshoot it?
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:24 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Check to see if the SQL agent is running, it is responsible for running the scheduled jobs.

    You can also open SQL mgmt. studio and look at the SQL Agent jobs and see if they are failing to execute.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    • Marked as answer by LesterClayton Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:19 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:47 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi,

    Check to see if the SQL agent is running, it is responsible for running the scheduled jobs.

    You can also open SQL mgmt. studio and look at the SQL Agent jobs and see if they are failing to execute.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    • Marked as answer by LesterClayton Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:19 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 3:47 PM
    Moderator
  • The DPM job failed because it could not contact the DPM engine.

    Problem Details:
    <JobTriggerFailed><__System><ID>9</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>14.02.2013 21:00:18</TimeCreated><Source>TriggerJob.cs</Source><Line>76</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><Tags><JobSchedule /></Tags></JobTriggerFailed>

    We're definately onto something here..... The SQL Agent is running, but clearly failing somewhere.

    I'm going to investigate a bit further and provide feedback - thanks for posting! 

    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:05 PM
  • OK,

    Did you change the SQL Agent user account ?

    If so, DPM enters the SQL Agent account name into the registry and later we check that account each time the DPM engine launches.  The internal interfaces to DPM are secured using this account so the account name needs to match the account the SQL Agent is using. 

    Step 1
    In the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Setup alter  both
    SqlAgentAccountName and SchedulerJobOwnerName keys to reflect the SQL Agent user account being used.

    Step 2
    Update DCOM launch and access permissions to match what was granted to the Microsoft$DPM$Acct account.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:11 PM
    Moderator
  • I have found the cause of the problem - somebody had proactively uninstalled the DPM Agent on the SQL Server, because the SQL server is in the list "Unprotected computers with protection agent" (we back up all our SQL Servers via SQL Scripts because we have too many SQL Databases for DPM to cope with!

    That somebody was me - :O

    Reinstalling the DPM Agent on the server has resolved the issue.  Thank you for telling me where to look!  I'm going to mark your first reply as an answer as it pointed me in the right direction - which is what I had asked in the question.

    Thanks very much!

    Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:19 PM
  • I can confirm that this resolve the issue, I built a new DPM system as a test to see if we want to go down this route, would not work until I installed the agent on the SQL server. I am sure it says something about that is some documentation, but not in what I read.

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:47 PM