none
Power View and Multidimensional Data sources

Question

• Hi,

I have SharePoint 2013 Enterprise connecting with SSAS 2012 SP1 tabular models with no problems.  I have just added a SQL 2012 SP1 SSAS server in multidimensional mode (a named instance) and updated it with CU4. I have updated the SharePoint server running the PowerPivot and Reporting services addin with cu4 as well.

I'm trying to create a BISM data connection to it, but receiving the "The database is not using in memory storage engine" error.  I read somewhere that RSDS connections were recommended, so successfully created one of these to this instance, but when I tried to create a Power View report, I received an error about the extension (RSDS) not being valid for this action.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here?

thanks,

Steve.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:41 AM

Answers

• OK, so I think I've sorted this out.  Hope the following helps others.

My SSAS instance was "Standard".  It wasn't clear to me that despite the actual instance being Multidimensional, that the BI edition is required to expose tabular capabilities. After upgrading to the BI Edition, I could connect with supplied Windows credentials.  I need to fix Kerberos for a named instance which still isn't working, but I know what to do (I think).

thanks Mike for your responses.

Steve

• Edited by wigneys Friday, October 11, 2013 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by wigneys Friday, October 11, 2013 1:40 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

The error should occur because that you didn't select Microsoft BI Semantic Model for Power View as the data source type when creating the shared Report Data Source (.RSDS) file. Please ensure that we can only use the Microsoft BI Semantic Model for Power View data source type to create a Power View report. If it is not the case, please make sure that you have updated the Reporting Services-SharePoint mode shared feature when installing CU4 for SQL Server 2012 SP1.

References:

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks.  You were right, I wasn't selecting BISM within the RSDS data source.

However, when I did, I got errors... when I use "windows authentication" as auth option, I get:

"The connection either timed out or was lost."

When I select another (valid) windows user, I get:

"Errors related to feature availability and configuration: The 'Tabular View' feature is not included in the '64 Bit Standard' edition of Analysis Services".

I suspect the Reporting Services-Sharepoint mode has not been updated properly, but when I run the CU4 file, it says "no components that need updating", so it suggests that it has been updated.  There were several files - I ran the SQLServer2012-KB2833645-x64.exe and the DAC Framework.

Can you suggest next steps?

many thanks,

Steve.

• Edited by wigneys Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:30 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:25 PM
  • OK, so I think I've sorted this out.  Hope the following helps others.

My SSAS instance was "Standard".  It wasn't clear to me that despite the actual instance being Multidimensional, that the BI edition is required to expose tabular capabilities. After upgrading to the BI Edition, I could connect with supplied Windows credentials.  I need to fix Kerberos for a named instance which still isn't working, but I know what to do (I think).

thanks Mike for your responses.

Steve

• Edited by wigneys Friday, October 11, 2013 1:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by wigneys Friday, October 11, 2013 1:40 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 1:39 AM