none
SCM v2.5 Installation Quietly Fails on Windows 2003 Domain Controller

Question

• When I execute the Security_Compliance_Manager_Setup.exe, I see a command windows open with the following text:

Checking Security Compliance Manager Installation Prerequisite...

ERROR:
    Code = 0x80041002
    Description = Not found
    Facility = WMI

Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319

Then the VC++ installer opens.  I successfully complete the VC++ installation, and then nothing.  No wizard, no error message, no log files, it just exits.

When I re-run the installer, the VC++ installer runs again, this time prompting me to remove or repair VC++.  After that, I briefly see a flicker of some text in the command window, but it closes too fast for me to read it.

As I said, there is no log file left behind, so I don't know what the problem is.  Wmic works, so I don't think I have any WMI related issues.  Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 2:26 PM

All replies

• I experienced exactly the same error on a 2003 server. I even managed to create a screenshot from the complete error message (lucky).

Checking Security Compliance Manager Installation Prerequisite...

ERROR:
    Code = 0x80041002
    Description = Not found
    Facility = WMI

Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319

Validating Security Compliance Manager Installation Prerequisite...

ERROR:
    Code = 0x80041002
    Description = Not found
    Facility = WMI

- I tried to remove the VC++, reboot, still not working
    - wmic was also working fine

Well I was about to give up ...
    Then I went to the download page of Microsoft Security Compliance Manager 2.5 and checked the System requirements:

• Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista

So I think it's kind off normal that the installation fails on a 2003 machine !!

• Edited by Chrizz06 Friday, April 06, 2012 2:24 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 11:13 AM
  • I believe SCM 2.x will only install on Vista and later versions of Windows.

Regards,

Kurt

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

Friday, April 06, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Well that makes sense.  Thanks.

BTW, I abandoned the idea of installing it on my domain controller and just installed it on my workstation.  A much more sane approach.

Monday, April 09, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Agreed:)

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:29 PM
  • I believe SCM 2.x will only install on Vista and later versions of Windows.

Regards,

Kurt

For Server 2003 you need to go to Add/Remove->Windows Components and add "WMI Windows Installer Provider".

This does the trick....:)

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:36 AM
  • For Server 2003 you need to go to Add/Remove->Windows Components and add "WMI Windows Installer Provider".

This does the trick....:)

• Proposed as answer by rajeevj Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:37 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:36 AM
  • A small clarification: under "Windows Components", one then needs to select "Management and Monitoring Tools", then select "Details", and then pick the "WMI Windows Installer Provider".

I'll note, as well, that in my case, I was prompted to provide the 2003 SP2 CD, so you may need to have that handy before trying this. I suppose that cold vary in different installations. But I'll need to put off proceeding past this step at this point. Still, I wanted to at least share the above. Thanks, Rajeev, for the pointer.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Carehart,

Thanks for posting this helpful information.

Kurt

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Thanks for the post.  I had to add "WMI Windows Installer Provider" and then Update the Windows Installer Service and this worked. 
    Monday, September 16, 2013 12:13 PM