none
OLE DB Source Columncannot be found at the datasource.

Question

• I have  a series of dataflow tasks and the last one is giving me trouble.  There is no intermediate steps involved, its simply a oledb source and oledb destination. The source data access mode is "sql command from a variable", which if i check the query at debug time, is fine.

At first I was getting errors similar to this

component "OLE DB Source" (414)" failed validation and returned validation status "VS_NEEDSNEWMETADATA"

Then, I changed the property "ValidateExternalMetadata" to false

When I run the package, I get an error similar to

OLE DB Source [414]: Column "my_column_name" cannot be found at the datasource.

Well, dadgumit...I know that column is there, the mappings look fine and Ive tried deleting and re-creating the source/destination a few times, same error.

I know the source and destination tables are the same, because I took the create script from the source to create the table at the destination.

suggestions?

sfsf

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:10 PM

Answers

• I FOUND IT!  Goof on my part <banging head>

I have a script task where I am changing the query variables used for the source.  Well, duh, that variable was using the value from another variable.  Fixed that and like *magic* everything worked.

Sometimes its the simple things that lead to strange errors that shouldn't be happening, so you just have to trace back down the WHOLE path from start to finish.

• Edited by shiftbit Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:01 PM updated reason
    • Marked as answer by shiftbit Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:02 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:00 PM

All replies

• You need to set  "ValidateExternalMetadata" to TRUE indeed, something has changed from the time you started developing and now, to recover you need to delete and recreate the offending component.

Arthur My Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Strange, I used RedGate compare tool to compare source and destination.  There are a few minor differences, but none with the table in question, they are identical between source and destination.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Along with the error messages I am also getting numerous warnings about

The "external metadata column ... needs to be removed from the external metadata column collection.

Then, prior to that there are messages like

The column ...  needs to be added to the external metadata column collection.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:44 PM
  • I FOUND IT!  Goof on my part <banging head>

I have a script task where I am changing the query variables used for the source.  Well, duh, that variable was using the value from another variable.  Fixed that and like *magic* everything worked.

Sometimes its the simple things that lead to strange errors that shouldn't be happening, so you just have to trace back down the WHOLE path from start to finish.

• Edited by shiftbit Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:01 PM updated reason
    • Marked as answer by shiftbit Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:02 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:00 PM
  • mark your post as answer. It would help others !!

Thanks, hsbal

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:51 PM