none
How can I include Internet Explorer 9 in my Windows 7 deployment?

Question

• How can I include Internet Explorer 9 in my Windows 7 deployment? There is no reference computer I am just using the Applications folder in MDT to install the applications on the PC. Also, I cannot approve IE 9 in WSUS because we have older technology so that wouldn't be a good option.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can deploy IE9 like any other apps. Use the appropriate command line for a silent install

Internet Explorer 9 Setup Command Line Switches

Revue du Geek | Déployer Windows 7 avec MDT 2010

• Proposed as answer by Klaas Arendsen Monday, March 12, 2012 2:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jshoemaker21 Monday, March 12, 2012 5:06 PM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:08 PM
  • I'm assuming I can just search for the install file and do that. I will try. I wasn't sure if there was something different to do. Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:49 PM
  • As Yannick says but I would go one step further and build my own IE install using IEAK.
    Friday, March 09, 2012 10:27 AM
  • You can also include it in your base image if you're putting it on all of your computers. It might save you time instead of having to do the install on every PC.

- Burton Peake

Friday, March 09, 2012 8:53 PM
  • It returned an error code 2. I have no idea what this means but with the /passive switch that is what happens.

James A+, Network+, MCP

Monday, March 12, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Error Code 2 means File Not Found. At what stage do you receive this error?

As others mentionedd, it would be a good !dea to install IE 9 manually on a reference computer and capture it. This is if many or all computers are going to receive IE 9.

Regards, Vik Singh

Monday, March 12, 2012 6:54 PM
  • The is no image. There is no reference PC. It' basically a RIS installation. It would be great if there was but there isn't. I'm just curious on how to get it to install with no errors. I can install Adobe Reader without issues. Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:40 PM
  • When you build your IE installation with IEAK. Select "hands free" and "flat". Now when you run the IE9-Setup-Full.exe it will do the installation, no switches needed.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:49 PM
  • So installing IE 9 with the /passive switch will not work even though it is supposed to?

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Using the command line switches, while certainly a feasible solution, has yielded mixed results in my environment.  More often than not my deployments end with some sort of warning regarding the IE9 installation (typically error 40008) that I have yet to find a cause of.  Despite the warning messages the IE9 installation works just fine but I prefer my installations to be clean and error/warning free.

That said, I've just performed an IE9 slipstream into my Windows Image file and everything seems to be working well so far.  The steps are quite involved but the results are much cleaner IMO.  I spent some time digging around for a good 'how-to' and finally landed at the Technet article linked below.  The article assumes you have the WAIK environment already installed (if you've previously injected drivers into your pre-boot images then you are already setup for this).  Hope this helps.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh147968.aspx

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:53 PM
  • I would always say use the IEAK!

It literally takes 5 minutes to get going and then you have a single file - no switches installer, that can really be customized to your needs...

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:06 PM
  • you can also use the windows update task in deployment.
    or do it like yannick said, use parameters to install the exe.
    • Edited by jschuw Friday, March 16, 2012 7:01 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 6:41 AM