none
Exchange 2010 SP1 connection very slow in Outlook

Question

• I am having a pretty big issue that just started today. All of my users are getting messages that Outlook is trying to receive data from Exchange. It takes up to several minutes to send a message once you hit the send button. Switching between folders is causing outlook to say Not Responding. Basically anything that Outlook looks for on the server is taking an unusual amount of time for ALL users. We have been using this server for almost 2 years and this is the first time this has happened. It is running on a Hyper-V VM. So I dont think it is something gradual or something related to any one user. I have checked DNS response times and that looks ok. I need some advice on what could be causing this issue please. 

Chris V

Friday, August 16, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• OK so here is what the issue was. After everyone left for the day, I was able to do more with this issue. I started thinking that I had reboot the Exchange server and the VM Host server it is on so I knew that wasnt the problem. Ping times to the Exchange server was great, like <1ms. So with that, I THOUGHT the switches were ok. But I figured "WTH" I will clear the ARP cache and reboot the switch that the Exchange VM is connected to. After I did that, I couldnt believe how much faster it ran. It seemed faster than before the issue. What ever the case, this is what resolved my issue. I hope that it helps someone else.

Chris V

• Marked as answer by chrisatzefon Monday, August 19, 2013 12:50 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 12:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Here is the exchange 2013 forum. I will help you to move your issue to exchange 2010 forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hello,

I recommend you check if owa has the issue. If owa has the issue, I recommend you use network monitor to check if your network is normally.

And please use Performance Monitor to automatically collect performance data from local or remote Exchange 2010 servers.

If owa doen't have the issue,  I recommend you check if there is any sync issues in sync issue folder.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 3:01 AM
  • This could be caused by a number of things. 

You will need to start logging some perf data and analyse it.  PAL can help with a starting point. 

You can run this on the VM and also on the host - just make sure to change the template to hyper-v.  Details in the posts here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/tags/pal/

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:05 AM
  • OK so here is what the issue was. After everyone left for the day, I was able to do more with this issue. I started thinking that I had reboot the Exchange server and the VM Host server it is on so I knew that wasnt the problem. Ping times to the Exchange server was great, like <1ms. So with that, I THOUGHT the switches were ok. But I figured "WTH" I will clear the ARP cache and reboot the switch that the Exchange VM is connected to. After I did that, I couldnt believe how much faster it ran. It seemed faster than before the issue. What ever the case, this is what resolved my issue. I hope that it helps someone else.

Chris V

• Marked as answer by chrisatzefon Monday, August 19, 2013 12:50 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 12:50 PM
  • I have been experiencing similar problems with slow downloads from my WS2012 running Mercury Mail to our outlook 2010 clients.

I finally sussed this one out.

Even though there is much talk out there that Anti Viruses no longer scan emails because in the words of another post There's no need to scan email, only attachments and that is done by all modern antimalware programs as the files are written to the PC file system.

All of the major AV vendors have been telling their customers for several years now that 'email scanning' is no longer necessary, it's a holdover from the early days of AV programs when Microsoft hadn't yet created the API (Application Programming Interface) sets that allow the AV programs to scan a file before any user access (including email programs) is allowed.

That being said the AV I have installed on my WS2012 (SC2012EP) still looks at the app. So what I did what exclude the Mercury mail application in SC2012EP and tested it.

An 8.9MB email which took 4 minutes to download now only take 9 seconds.

Problems solved!! J I hope it helps you

Monday, September 02, 2013 1:32 PM