none
Installing SQL Server without reboot

Question

• I have an installer that installs my product. When tithe installer is done and exits, it runs an exe that kicks off the SQL Server 2012 installer with the necessary options. The first install of SQL Server always fails. I need to reboot the computer and then run the installer again to get it to install properly. Any ideas how I can get this working without a reboot? This never happened with previous versions of SQL Server.  I'm using the following options:

"/ACTION=Install /QS /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /UPDATEENABLED=true /INSTANCENAME=INSTANCE_ NAME /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD=pass /FEATURES=SQLEngine /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=AUTOMATIC /HIDECONSOLE /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck"

• Moved by Shanky_621 Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:47 AM More reated forum
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:26 AM

All replies

• I have an installer that installs my product. When tithe installer is done and exits, it runs an exe that kicks off the SQL Server 2012 installer with the necessary options. The first install of SQL Server always fails. I need to reboot the computer and then run the installer again to get it to install properly. Any ideas how I can get this working without a reboot? This never happened with previous versions of SQL Server.  I'm using the following options:

"/ACTION=Install /QS /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /UPDATEENABLED=true /INSTANCENAME=INSTANCE_ NAME /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD=pass /FEATURES=SQLEngine /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=AUTOMATIC /HIDECONSOLE /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck"

Hello,

Can you check below link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008982

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/508747/continuous-reboot-needed-to-install-sql-server-2008-r2-aug-ctp

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:15 AM
  • These links are for 2008, I didn't have a problem with 2008, I'm using 2012 now and it has the problem. My problem isn't that it keeps rebooting. It doesn't install fully the first time. Then if I reboot and run the installer again it works, so only 1 reboot is required. 
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:19 AM
  • These links are for 2008, I didn't have a problem with 2008, I'm using 2012 now and it has the problem. My problem isn't that it keeps rebooting. It doesn't install fully the first time. Then if I reboot and run the installer again it works, so only 1 reboot is required. 

Hello,

It is applicable to 2012 also.Anyways i dont understand what your problem is .If after rebooting installation works then what is the issue.Are you facing problem while installing SQL server 2012.

What installer you are using ? Is it possible for you to run SQL serevr setup from setup.exe

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:50 AM
  • What's the error? Does the "Reboot Required" check fail?

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:17 AM
  • To get it to work I have to install my product, reboot Windows, then install SQL Server. Since I am trying to build a combined installer where my product also installs SQL Server, I need SQL Server to be able to install right after my product is installed without needing a reboot in-between. This all worked fine with 2008. I'm not sure why a reboot would be required before installing SQL Server?

Monday, March 03, 2014 10:32 PM