none
Ex Federation only works one certain servers in org

Question

• Have setup Exchange federation between two Exchange Organization (no trust exists between domains) both Exchange 2010 sp2. In company A there are 3 Exchange mailbox servers in three different phyical sites again all same version. In company B they can see the free/busy information in 2 of the 3 servers but not the 3rd.

Here is the error they see in Company B

Process 6540: ProxyWebRequest FederatedCrossForest from S-1-5-21-1078081533-1647877149-839522115-52294 to https://mail.company.com/ews/exchange.asmx/WSSecurity failed. Caller SIDs: WSSecurity. The exception returned is Microsoft.Exchange.InfoWorker.Common.Availability.ProxyWebRequestProcessingException: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

On Company A side I have looked at CAS/Hub Transport/IIS virtural directory settings all appear exactly the same for all 3 boxes. I ran Test-ExchangeFederation and it came up clean. I am at a loss where to look next.

Any ideas?

Friday, August 23, 2013 12:37 PM

Answers

• I fixed it but I can't explain why.

On all 3 of the CAS boxes in Company A EWS has Basic Authentication enabled. On company B they do not have this enabled.

I removed it from Company A ONLY from the one server that was having issues. And the problem was fixed.

I can't explain why it worked for any of the 3 servers based on that technique but I offer it up in case anyone is in the same fix.

• Marked as answer by Craigbon Friday, August 23, 2013 3:41 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:41 PM

All replies

• The forcibly closed item made me think it was a firewall issue I checked that as well
    • Unmarked as answer by Craigbon Friday, August 23, 2013 3:42 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 12:38 PM
  • I fixed it but I can't explain why.

On all 3 of the CAS boxes in Company A EWS has Basic Authentication enabled. On company B they do not have this enabled.

I removed it from Company A ONLY from the one server that was having issues. And the problem was fixed.

I can't explain why it worked for any of the 3 servers based on that technique but I offer it up in case anyone is in the same fix.

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:41 PM