Gen2 VMs have no USB keyboard response after "Press any key to boot from DVD" but the USB mouse in keyboard's USB hub works.

Question

• With Gen2 VMs, the USB keyboard becomes unresponsive beyond the, "Press any key to boot from DVD", prompt.  The mouse, which is connected to the keyboard's USB hub, functions fine.  However, my keyboards and mouse both work fine on Gen1 guest VM.

The keyboard is a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro.  I have also used a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 v1 keyboard with the same results.  No PS2 ports are on the server so I'm stuck using USB.

VM's I've tried are Windows 8 & Server Essentials 2012.  I'm currently downloading Server Essentials 2012 R2 to give that a try later today but I suspect I'll have the same results.

Any known issues or suggestions?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• The Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials edition in a Gen2 VM works with the keyboards and mouse. 
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:02 PM
  • I have the exact same problem.

I'm palying with Windows 2012 R2 with Hyper V on a Laptop that has been working fine with Windows 2012. With 2012 R2 the Gen 1 VMs everything works fine as on Windows 2012, but with gen 2 after using the keyboard to boot the DVD or to boot over network, the keyboard is gone and only the mouse works (that happens locally on the laptop or over RDP to the laptop).

I managed to install an Windows 2012 on the Gen 2 VM with a full unattended instalation, and after booting the OS after the instal, the keyboard now works as expected. 

Any ideas....?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:35 PM