none
How to Get the Product key!?

Question

• so, This is my Laptop which my uncle bought for me from USA. It Has a genuine windows 8.1 Os . For Some Reason I have to re-install my Os . But My uncle did not give me any product key. I asked help from microsoft Online Tech pros but they said that they do not keep product keys for security reasons. So, is there any possible way to regain my product key ? so that I can re-install and register my machine's Os again?  Thank you  . ( There's no sticker under my laptop) -.-
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:37 PM

Answers

• thanks but wont I need the product key while Re-installing the Os?

if you are using the vendor-provided method for recovery/refresh, e.g. "push button reset", you don't need the product key, because the vendor-provided recovery image (which is typically stored on a hidden partition on the HDD), contains a generic OEM product key, and when the OS recovery is reloaded, the product key within firmware (BIOS/UEFI) is automatically detected and used.

Most vendors also provide a method to create recovery media (either DVD or UFD), and usually there are prompts by the vendor utility software to create this recovery media (just in case the HDD fails at some time).

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Satanlayan Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:45 AM
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:45 PM
  • what IF I change the HDD of my pc ?? Can I create a recovery media or something? then How am I suppose to use the Product key ?? wouldn't I need it then? @Donpick

As previously mentioned, yes, your vendor should have provided some type of software to create recovery media - you should use that, create media, and then if your HDD crashes you can replace HDD and recover Windows from media.

The vendor recovery media, will include the embedded generic pkey, and when Windows loads/activates, Windows will refer to the embedded firmware pkey.

In Win8/8.1, there is never a need for you to know the embedded pkey from firmware, as long as you always use an OEM Windows installation provided by your vendor.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Satanlayan Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:44 AM
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:33 AM

All replies

• ask your uncle to send you the key, but then where is the recovery media etc?

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:41 PM
  • He didnt Provide me any recovery media or Product key. My Laptop's model is Lenovo G500 .
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:46 PM
  • Product key is hidden in BIOS. You do not need to know product key.

If you really want to retrieve product key, there is plenty descriptions how to do it. Google is your friend (http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/)

This forum is for IP professionals. Better platform for public is answers.microsoft.com

Regards

Milos

Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:05 PM
  • then likely the recovery is on the hard disk, use the BIOS to access it to reset the machine to factory

lenovo may have some software to copy the recovery to dvd or usb stick

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:06 PM
  • it does have something called " One key Recovery system" .-. So , IF i reset the system then I dont need to re-install the Os , right ? .-.   @Vegan Fanatic
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:05 PM
  • thanks but wont I need the product key while Re-installing the Os? .-. @Milos Puchta
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:06 PM

if you are using the vendor-provided method for recovery/refresh, e.g. "push button reset", you don't need the product key, because the vendor-provided recovery image (which is typically stored on a hidden partition on the HDD), contains a generic OEM product key, and when the OS recovery is reloaded, the product key within firmware (BIOS/UEFI) is automatically detected and used.

Most vendors also provide a method to create recovery media (either DVD or UFD), and usually there are prompts by the vendor utility software to create this recovery media (just in case the HDD fails at some time).

Don

Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:45 PM

Don

what IF I change the HDD of my pc ?? Can I create a recovery media or something? then How am I suppose to use the Product key ?? wouldn't I need it then? @Donpick
    • Unmarked as answer by Satanlayan Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:45 AM
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:27 AM
  • what IF I change the HDD of my pc ?? Can I create a recovery media or something? then How am I suppose to use the Product key ?? wouldn't I need it then? @Donpick

As previously mentioned, yes, your vendor should have provided some type of software to create recovery media - you should use that, create media, and then if your HDD crashes you can replace HDD and recover Windows from media.

The vendor recovery media, will include the embedded generic pkey, and when Windows loads/activates, Windows will refer to the embedded firmware pkey.

In Win8/8.1, there is never a need for you to know the embedded pkey from firmware, as long as you always use an OEM Windows installation provided by your vendor.

Don

• Marked as answer by Satanlayan Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:44 AM
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:33 AM

Don

Thanks alot dude! ^_^
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:45 AM

Don

Thanks alot dude! ^_^

and and how am I going install OS in the second HDD ?? with The Recovery media?
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:52 AM
  • and and how am I going install OS in the second HDD ?? with The Recovery media?
    Yes

Don

Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:25 AM