none
Is it possible to modify Windows Update Notification?

Question

• Hello,

I'm setting up an environment for automated tests on Windows Server 2012 r2.  Sometimes the metro style notification that there's windows updates available appears screwing up my tests.  Is there any way to turn that into a "traditional" popup or notification that appears in the taskbar or something? 

thanks!

• Edited by bdschultz Monday, November 18, 2013 8:36 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 8:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I know, there is no methods that you can modify the metro style notification to a "traditional" popup.

You can modify related update setting to ignore the notification. Please follow the path: Control Panel-> Windows Update-> Change settings. In Important updates tab, please select “Install updates automatically”. This setting will help you to update automatically and ignore the notification.

If on domain environment, you configure “Configure Automatic Updates” setting via GPO. Please follow the path on GPMC: Computer configuration-> Policies-> Administrative Templates-> Windows Components-> Windows Update-> Configure Automatic Updates. On “Configure Automatic Updates” dialog box, configure related settings to ensure that download and install the updates without notification.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, there is no methods that you can modify the metro style notification to a "traditional" popup.

You can modify related update setting to ignore the notification. Please follow the path: Control Panel-> Windows Update-> Change settings. In Important updates tab, please select “Install updates automatically”. This setting will help you to update automatically and ignore the notification.

If on domain environment, you configure “Configure Automatic Updates” setting via GPO. Please follow the path on GPMC: Computer configuration-> Policies-> Administrative Templates-> Windows Components-> Windows Update-> Configure Automatic Updates. On “Configure Automatic Updates” dialog box, configure related settings to ensure that download and install the updates without notification.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:05 AM