none
SBS 2011 Standard Client/Workstation Backup

Question

• How do I configure the client/workstation backup in SBS 2011 standard?  I found plenty of information on how to do it in 2011 Essentials but not Standard.  If it makes an difference all the workstations are XP SP3.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:55 PM

Answers

• There is no client backup feature in SBS Standard.  You can use Windows Storage Server Essentials 2011 for 25 client stations, and you can have as many of these appliances on the network as needed.  Western Digital and Highly Reliable Systems are two vendors offering these appliances now, others are slated to come on line in the future.
    Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
    • Marked as answer by RicoE Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:00 PM

All replies

• There is no client backup feature in SBS Standard.  You can use Windows Storage Server Essentials 2011 for 25 client stations, and you can have as many of these appliances on the network as needed.  Western Digital and Highly Reliable Systems are two vendors offering these appliances now, others are slated to come on line in the future.
    • Marked as answer by RicoE Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Thanks, that solves that!  I wonder why it is in Essentials but not Standard?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:04 PM
  • I can only suggest, and I am not privy to ANY information that you would not be, that the concept of maintaing single instance storage for more than a limited number of systems does not scale well. 
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Bottom line, different code base.

Essentials is based on Home server
    Standars is not and they didn't want to take the expense of porting it over.

Add to that at the time it had Drive Extender and DE and exchange and
    SQL... not pretty together.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:13 PM