none
BOINC and Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 x64

Question

• Hello,

I've also posted over on the BOINC forums without much luck but I thought I'd post here as well.

When BOINC is running my Generation 1 Hyper-V VMs are unbelievably slow. Basically unusable.

ASUS Z87-WS Motherboard

Core i7-4770K
    32GB RAM
    2x Samsung 840 Pros (OS)
    4x Western Digital Red 1TB drives - RAID10 (Data)
    2x GTX 770s
    2x Gigabit NICs in LACP team

The issue can be seen with the "Virtual Machine Worker Process" when BOINC isn't running the process is sitting at a very low CPU usage (my VMs are not really doing much) but as soon as I start BOINC the VMPC process jumps to like 1/9th of 100% (8 BOINC apps + VMPC).

If I change BOINC to "Use at most 50% CPU time" there is no difference. The usage percent drops in half obviously but the VMWP usage = the same usage of the other 8 BOINC processes.

If I change BOINC to "On multiprocessor systems use at most 50% of the processors" there is no difference. VMWP = the same usage of the other 4 BOINC processes.

The only project I run is World Community Grid the current processes appear to be fight aids at home? (fahv_vina_7.06) & (fahv_vina_prod_64)

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I've also posted over on the BOINC forums without much luck but I thought I'd post here as well.

When BOINC is running my Generation 1 Hyper-V VMs are unbelievably slow. Basically unusable.

ASUS Z87-WS Motherboard

Core i7-4770K
    32GB RAM
    2x Samsung 840 Pros (OS)
    4x Western Digital Red 1TB drives - RAID10 (Data)
    2x GTX 770s
    2x Gigabit NICs in LACP team

The issue can be seen with the "Virtual Machine Worker Process" when BOINC isn't running the process is sitting at a very low CPU usage (my VMs are not really doing much) but as soon as I start BOINC the VMPC process jumps to like 1/9th of 100% (8 BOINC apps + VMPC).

If I change BOINC to "Use at most 50% CPU time" there is no difference. The usage percent drops in half obviously but the VMWP usage = the same usage of the other 8 BOINC processes.

If I change BOINC to "On multiprocessor systems use at most 50% of the processors" there is no difference. VMWP = the same usage of the other 4 BOINC processes.

The only project I run is World Community Grid the current processes appear to be fight aids at home? (fahv_vina_7.06) & (fahv_vina_prod_64)

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:59 PM
  • BIONIC has always been single threaded and therefore cannot deal with virtualization CPU time slicing.

I have been known to run it within a VMs specifically to get it to behave properly.  It does not perform, but it does not affect other VMs.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:07 PM
  • I'm not sure that I understand that though because each BOINC "process" is simply another instance of the two processes (fahv_vina_7.06) & (fahv_vina_prod_64) running at low priority. Does the BOINC Client actually control those processes in some way? I've always just assumed that the BOINC client just managed what processes were running. The actual BOINC process doesn't have any CPU utilization.
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:17 PM
  • This is a cross post.  Please stop.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:34 PM
  • The engine itself is single threaded.  Once you add hyperv into the mix in any way you get into CPU time slicing.  The BIONIC app does not handle this well.

It is the engine, and work the engine does.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:15 AM