none
Newbie question: DMPREDICT function giving me "Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Question

• I'm working my way through the Data Mining with SQL Server 2008 MacLennan book and I'm having trouble with the DMPREDICT function in Excel. My function call looks like:

=DMPREDICT("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Trees - Home Ownership]","PredictProbability([Home Ownership])","Age",B2,"Education Level",B3,"Gender",B4)

I know the connection name is correct (DMAddinsDB) and I know the mining model name is correct (Customers - Trees - Home Ownership) and processed because I can browse it.

Anyone run into an "Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error while using this function? I couldn't seem to find any explanation online, but I probably just don't know where to look. I'm getting the same error with the following functions as well:

=DMPREDICT("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Trees - Home Ownership]","Predict([Home Ownership])","Age",B2,"Education Level",B3,"Gender",B4)

=DMPREDICT("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Bayes - Home Ownership]","PredictNodeID([Home Ownership])","Age",B2,"Education Level",B3,"Gender",B4)

=DMCONTENTQUERY("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Bayes - Home Ownership]","NODE_DESCRIPTION","NODE_UNIQUE_NAME=" & B8)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:22 PM

Answers

• I'm working my way through the Data Mining with SQL Server 2008 MacLennan book and I'm having trouble with the DMPREDICT function in Excel. My function call looks like:

=DMPREDICT("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Trees - Home Ownership]","PredictProbability([Home Ownership])","Age",B2,"Education Level",B3,"Gender",B4)

I know the connection name is correct (DMAddinsDB) and I know the mining model name is correct (Customers - Trees - Home Ownership) and processed because I can browse it.

Anyone run into an "Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error while using this function? I couldn't seem to find any explanation online, but I probably just don't know where to look. I'm getting the same error with the following functions as well:

=DMPREDICT("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Trees - Home Ownership]","Predict([Home Ownership])","Age",B2,"Education Level",B3,"Gender",B4)

=DMPREDICT("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Bayes - Home Ownership]","PredictNodeID([Home Ownership])","Age",B2,"Education Level",B3,"Gender",B4)

=DMCONTENTQUERY("DMAddinsDB","[Customers - Bayes - Home Ownership]","NODE_DESCRIPTION","NODE_UNIQUE_NAME=" & B8)

Thanks in advance,

Mark

This issue is a bug:  Please vote for the Connect item:  https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/928142/excel-data-mining-add-ins-have-disabled-excel-cell-functions-dmpredict-dmpredicttablerow-dmcontentquery

Mark Tabladillo PhD (MVP, SAS Expert; MCITP, MCAD .NET) http://www.marktab.net

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:19 PM

All replies

• looks like some permission issues check the account have enough permissions. Start SQL Profiler and see what exactly happning. Check the windows error log for more details
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:15 PM

Thanks in advance,

Mark

This issue is a bug:  Please vote for the Connect item:  https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/928142/excel-data-mining-add-ins-have-disabled-excel-cell-functions-dmpredict-dmpredicttablerow-dmcontentquery

Mark Tabladillo PhD (MVP, SAS Expert; MCITP, MCAD .NET) http://www.marktab.net

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:19 PM