none
IP Conflict Crashes Network

Question

• I had a simple IP conflict yesterday, an old printer had a static IP in the DHCP scope, a new computer was issued that IP.  Usually this results in issues for the two devices involved.  This time, it crashed the entire network, no internet, no shared drive access for everyone.  Recently we switched to a provider with an Adtran integrated services device as the gateway/router.  Could there be something about the way the router is configured that would cause an IP conflict to bring down the network?

Thanks,

DLW 

Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:44 PM

Answers

• The IP Address that conflict was it the IP Gateway of the router?

If you have access to your router and if the router is a Cisco router.

You can check the IOS configuration, whether if there is an IP conflict it would bring your router down.

But I suppose there's some other things that might have cause the issue, a simple IP conflict would not easily bring the whole network down.  

What kind of behavior that will bring the whole network down? I would say there's quite a lot.  

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you referred, the issue should only have impact on the two devices involved.

In order to troubleshoot the issue, I want to make few questions clear.

First, you use the term “old printer”, I assume it is not added recently. Then why the IP is included in DHCP scope? You can create an exclusion range in DHCP pool.

Second, I’m also suspecting the gateway caused the issue. Is there any problem with internal connection? I wonder if the clients get valid IP, gateway and they can ping each other. If only internet connection issue, you need ask the provider for help. They may have some limitation on the gateway.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by ww1 Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:45 AM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 5:37 AM
  • Agree with Daniel, IP Conflict would not crash the whole network.

Router if messed up would definitely, down the whole network.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:51 AM
  • As long as your IP wasn't in conflict with the router it shouldn't bring down your entire network.

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:53 AM
  • Thank you all for responding.  Before and after the ip conflict was resolved, the network was fine, internet access, pinging internal clients, accessing network drives.  With the ip conflict, none of that worked.  I'm assuming it was caused by the router.  I'd like to know what setting/configuration would cause that kind of behavior?  The provider has a "it's working now there's no problem" attitude, that's why I'm posting here.

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:30 PM
  • The IP Address that conflict was it the IP Gateway of the router?

If you have access to your router and if the router is a Cisco router.

You can check the IOS configuration, whether if there is an IP conflict it would bring your router down.

But I suppose there's some other things that might have cause the issue, a simple IP conflict would not easily bring the whole network down.  

What kind of behavior that will bring the whole network down? I would say there's quite a lot.  

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:09 AM