none
Calculating YoY Growth Using powerpivot

Question

• Hi,

I have created a power pivot just like one below. Now I want to find the YoY and QoQ growth with some measure functions. Basically (30.9-27.9)/27.9 for QoQ and (29-27.9)/27.9 for YoY growth.

Period     Sum of Units

2009Q3     27.9m

2009Q4     30.9m

2010Q1      27m

2010Q2      24m

2010Q3       29m

Any Suggestion on how to do it?

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• I assume you have a date table related to your fact data.

[YoY]:=([Sum of Units]-[Sum of Units](PreviousYear(DateTable[DateKey])))[Sum of Units](PreviousYear(DateTable[DateKey]))

[QoQ]:=([Sum of Units]-[Sum of Units](PreviousQuarter(DateTable[DateKey])))[Sum of Units](PreviousQuarter(DateTable[DateKey]))

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:48 PM
  • Sry I am new to power-pivot. Can u please explain wht is Date table, Datekey and PreviousYear functions are?
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:08 AM
  • I assume you have a date table related to your fact data.

[YoY]:=([Sum of Units]-[Sum of Units](PreviousYear(DateTable[DateKey])))[Sum of Units](PreviousYear(DateTable[DateKey]))

[QoQ]:=([Sum of Units]-[Sum of Units](PreviousQuarter(DateTable[DateKey])))[Sum of Units](PreviousQuarter(DateTable[DateKey]))

Hi Karen,

The problem is my fact data has only period column in it, no date column. I have created a calendar file but should I create relation between period column in both? 

Thanks

Thursday, August 08, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Sry I am new to power-pivot. Can u please explain wht is Date table, Datekey and PreviousYear functions are?

Hi NewBeeeeeee,

Please refer to the following article:
    PREVIOUSYEAR Function: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634770.aspx

Here is a article for your reference, please see:

Get the YTD of same period last year using DAX: http://www.powerpivotblog.nl/get-the-ytd-of-same-period-last-year-using-dax

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 08, 2013 3:44 AM