Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:39 PM
I use "Open With" option to a xlsx file in file explorer and now I lost the file association to Excel 2010 starter.
I tried to do the same trick in "Open With" but I don't find Excel starter in the application list, and when I used 'browse', I can't find the exact Excel executable as it is hidden in Q: drive (the one with Click-to-Run).
What should I do to restore the file association?
- Moved by Jennifer ZhanModerator Friday, November 19, 2010 2:19 AM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
Friday, November 19, 2010 6:01 AMModerator
Try this method to find excel.exe in Q:
- Make sure that the Show hidden files and folders option is enabled in your folder options. To check this option, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Computer.
- Click Organize, and then click Folder and search options.
- Click the View tab.
- Under Hidden files and folders, make sure that the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option is selected, and then click OK .
- Open the Click-to-Run version of Microsoft Excel 2010.
- On the File menu, and then click Open.
- Browse to App Virt (Q:) drive to open the folder ending in "<var>xxxxxx</var>-enu".
- Open the Office14 folder and then you can see Excel.exe.
Also check this setting:
In Excel 2010, go into your File->Options, then Advanced, then in the “General” section, remove the tick from “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)“.
- Marked As Answer by Jennifer ZhanModerator Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:07 AM
Friday, December 28, 2012 7:22 AM
I have this same issue and I don't see how the above answer works. So I can find the Q: drive in the Open dialog box from Excel Starter, but I can't ever see it from a regular explorer window with my .xls files. I even tried to right-click on the .xls file within the Open dialog box and choose the "Open With" option so that I could choose the Q: drive (because you can see it there since it is now within the Virtual Machine) but I get an error message that says that it is not allowed from there.
Solved my own issue:
I found that some file types were associated with Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler while others were associated with Microsoft Application Virtualization DDE Launcher.
So I switched the .xls file to be associated with the later and VIOLA! fixed...