Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:22 PM
We are in the process of migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 and have a problem with the Public Folder replication item count between the 2 servers. I have moved the heirarchy and the replica from Exchange 2003 to 2010 and it looks like all the folders have come over to th 2010 server. However, my concern is the item count. They are not the same between some folders. I have moved some users over to 2010 and have asked them to verify if their Public Folders look correct and they have told me that it looks complete. Also, I can add new Public Folder items to the old server and have verified that they are replicating to 2010 and vice versa. Public Folder Contact folders have identical item counts but it is the Calendar Public Folders which have different item counts. My hunch is how Exchange 2010 handles recurring items in Calendars but I am unable to find anything on this. Get-PublicFolderStatistics command on the Exchange 2010 server is showing me a different item count than in Exchange 2003. I have scoured the forums and Googled looking for an answer but am not finding anything pertaining to my issue.
I have used the Exchange Team Blog article on Public Folder Replication Troubleshooting – Part 2: Troubleshooting the Replication of Existing Data to try and determine problems with replication but I am not seeing any errors or problems on either server. I am at wits end here trying to determine if we indeed have a problem that I am not seeing. I hate to retire the Exchange 2003 server before resolving the discrepancy in the Public Folder item counts and having it come and bite me in the rear. I guess I could always export the Public Folders as a pst file to be safe and import them into Exchange 2010 but I would hate to redo the permissions on them.
If anyone has any insight into my issue, I wouldreally appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:53 PM
I think you can verify with the Database size , instead of going for item counts.
And Dismount the Exchange 2003 Database and verify the same
As far my knowledge , the item counts calculation is always remain the same
Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you
Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:07 PM
I would continue to monitor for a while and check the status again.
Also check the item count using Exfolders.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:45 PM
@Sath, the PF database size on Exchange 2010 is bigger than Exchange 2003. Perhaps it is bigger because of the change in db format in Exchange 2010.
@Sukh, I have been monitoring the replication for almost 2 weeks now. I will give Exfolders a try and report back.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:36 PM
I have used Exfolders on Exchange 2010 and PFDAVAdmin on Exchange 2003 and am noticing some differences. I have attached an image to show what is not replicating over to Exchange 2010. There appears to be recurring items in Exchange 2003 and if I subtract these items from the total item count on Exchange 2010, then my item count is correct. Does anyone know what these instances are? I have attached a screenshot from PFDAVAdmin of my Exchange 2003 server. As you can see, it is a running number of a particular item and there are multiple instances of these on Exchange 2003. They do not exist on Exchange 2010. On Exchange 2010. there is ony one instance of the item Thanks.
Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:38 PMCant really see that image, can you upload to skydrive or something
Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:20 PM
I can't give you the answer whats exacly the reason why the elements are missing - but have a look in bill longs blog. He has some tips for public folder replication problems.
One Probem my be with categries - I thing there is a known problem if a categore contains a ",".
One way I use to get all elements from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 is the following:
0. You found a folder with not maching itemcount
1. Find one folder only existing on Exchange 2010 - lets call it tempfolder
2. move all elements with an outlook which accesses the folders on the exchange 2003 server to the tempfolder
3. make shure the folder with the problem shows 0 elements on the exchange 2010 server Console
4. remove the exchange 2003 replica of the problem folder
5. wait until outlook cant acess the problemfolder
6. reopen Outlook - it now have to access the replic on exchange 2010
7. move all items back from the tempfolder to the problemfolder
Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:19 PM
@Sukh, Sorry about that. Here is a link to the image
@testrrrr, I have seen that link and had already enabled logging to see if an entry contains "," but I am not seeing any so far.
- Edited by CKSingh Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:32 PM wrong link
Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:10 PMCan't you export them items to PST and import them on 2010
Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:31 PMI guess I don't have much of a choice. I could use PFDAVAdmin to export the current Exchange 2003 PF permissions and use Exfolders to import them into Exchange 2010. I saw the options in both of them but I have never tried this route before. Worse case scenario would be that I would have to add the permissions in manually. Thanks to everyone who contributed to try and helping me solve my problem.
- Marked As Answer by Fiona_LiaoMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:47 AM