Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:32 AM
For the past month, I have been hearing from users that they are not receiving some of their attachments. After looking into the issue, I have found a couple of commonalities between the messages that we are having problems with... Those commonalities are...
- All the messages have been coming from people who are using the Apple Mail client. Although, not all of the message coming from Apple Mail clients are having the issue. It seems that the only ones that we are having issues with are those messages that have inline attachments.
- We can see the attachements in OWA, Outlook on the MAC, or if we forward the message to external servers like gmail or hotmail.
- The messages have the PR_ATTACHMENT_HIDDEN set to true.
- So far, the missing files have only been PDF attachments.
I have found a bunch of fixes, but none that seem to have fixed my issue. I have tried setting the ShowInlineAttachments to true on our HUB servers. I have created a transport rule that rewrites the Content-Type. I have made regedit changes on the clients, setting
Level1Removeto .pdf. The Exchange servers are running Exchange 2010 SP1 rollup 3.
Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:53 AM
If I'm not mistaken, RU5 included a fix for this.
Back in November SP2 was released, and since you are very much behind patchlevel, I would recommend you to install the Service Pack and also the latest Rollup (RU2). That will fixe the problem you have.
Some fun reading about the problem: Mixed-ing it up: Multipart/Mixed Messages and You
Sunday, April 29, 2012 1:19 AMThank you... I had found one place before that they had referenced this issue in regards to Rollup 5... Unfortunately, that was the only place that I had seen it. My only issue at this point is that I have an interim fix from Microsoft that is supposed to fix an issue with Entourage clients and also a iPhone issue. Considering that all of our OS X clients have been upgraded to Office 2011 with Outlook for the MAC, I think that I should hopfully be able to get rid of the interim patch. The interim patch was the reason why I have not considered installing any of the rollups since 3. I will have to open the case with Microsoft again and see if I still need it. If not or if they have a new interim patch, looks like I will be going to rollup 5.
- Marked As Answer by Simon_WuMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Moderator Friday, May 04, 2012 7:34 AM
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:57 PM
I have the same issue with opening inline PDF attachments sent from a Apple device. We have SBS 2011 with Exchange 2010 SP2 rollup 6.
PDF attachments show up as a red x when using outlook 2007,2010 and 2013. Attachments can be seen and opened fine in OWA. If I add a new account to the outlook client (such as outlook.com) and send the same email to this account the PDF attachment opens fine.
The problem looks to be with exchange. Article KB2543879 describes the problem I have, however my version of exchange and patch levels should have resolved this issue.
Any help would be much appreciated