Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:43 PM
We are having a problem with the MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) in Exchange 2010 SP1 UM. Only a small handful of our 450 Unified Messaging users are getting their MWI messages sent to their sets. I have turned on logging via
Get-EventLogLevel "MSexchange Unified Messaging\MWI General" | Set-EventLogLevel -Level:Expert
But I only see events with ID 1343 like this:
A Message Waiting Indicator (MWI) notification '1/9 (unread/read)' for mailbox 'Jay K Smith(31c246d4-2582-40d2-b779-e4cea1a9030c)' associated with UM extension '5555153' was succesfully sent to 'EX-UM2'.
The event is correct and that user does get the MWI lamp lit on his phone, but we know there are other users who do not get notifications sent when they have new messages.
There are no errors, and I've restarted the Mailbox Agents.
MWI settings are like so:
Get-UMMailboxPolicy | select identity, AllowMessageWaitingIndicator |fl Identity : Default Policy AllowMessageWaitingIndicator : True Identity : Unrestricted Outbound Policy AllowMessageWaitingIndicator : True Get-UMIPGateway| FL identity, MessageWaitingIndicatorAllowed Identity : SessionManager1 MessageWaitingIndicatorAllowed : True Identity : SessionManager2 MessageWaitingIndicatorAllowed : True
It's as if the mailbox agent is not doing its job all the time.