none
Log scale instead of linear

Question

• Is it possible to use a log scale for PowerMap bar charts (or bubbles, or heat maps)? I have some locations with values that are by magnitudes larger than others, which makes the "small" ones drown. Using a log scale instead of a linear scale (maybe with accompanying value labels) would maybe make it easier for users to see the "small" places on the map...

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• +1

I should have posted this last week when I was doing my survey and article! A lot of my comparisons were with MapPoint because that is main subject of my site (all Microsoft mapping is worth at least a mention though!). Limited scale options, especially the lack of a log scale was something I noted as missing.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:40 PM
  • ...or another idea may be to have additional chart types, e.g. a "bubble bars" (barchart where the bars start increasing in diameter/volume after a certain point; determined by disparity between the largest/smallest values shown in the map).

...or maybe "3d bubbles": a hemisphere growing by volume instead of diameter, centered at the coordinates the value belong to.

(Just ideas, hope they make it to the PowerMap team's list of future features :) )

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:49 AM
  • I can confirm that we don't have an option like this in the current version of Power Map.

A workaround might be to normalize your own values in Excel using either the LOG or LOG10 function. Here's a trivial example using LOG10.

Value Log10
    1 0
    12 1.079181
    123 2.089905
    1234 3.091315
    12345 4.091491

I hope this helps!

Blair Neumann (MSFT)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:44 PM
  • We used different layers for values that would otherwise get washed out.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:47 PM
  • ...or another idea may be to have additional chart types, e.g. a "bubble bars" (barchart where the bars start increasing in diameter/volume after a certain point; determined by disparity between the largest/smallest values shown in the map).

...or maybe "3d bubbles": a hemisphere growing by volume instead of diameter, centered at the coordinates the value belong to.

(Just ideas, hope they make it to the PowerMap team's list of future features :) )

You can also provide suggestions on Connect or in the Smile / Frown feature in the Power Map UI.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 16, 2013 7:53 PM