none
Sever shutting itself down due to RPC error , please help

Question

• Dear Technet community,

We have a problem with a brand new IBM Server and we cannot work out why the RPC service is being terminated forcing the server to reboot at random times.

The server is up to date in terms of Windows updates and hot fixes.,

The following errors are logged in event viewer

The process C:\Windows\system32\services.exe (Servername) has initiated the restart of computer "ServerName" on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Reason Code: 0x30006
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment: Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly.

The next erorr in the registry is as follows:

Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 18/11/2013 13:30:41
    Event ID: 7031
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: server.name.local
    Description:
    The RPC Endpoint Mapper service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns=
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7031</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-11-18T13:30:41.913793600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>794803</EventRecordID>

Please Help

Thanks

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What type of SBS have you installed on your server?

Are all patches installed?

Have you tried with a complete virus scan?

Roberto

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Hello Roberto,

The server is an SBS 2011 server Standard and all Patches are installed and Trend AV is up to date on the server. The server is 64 BIT  and does this randomly also it really puzzling us as to why. Our customers are very frustrated as it takes 15 mins for the server to restart itself before everything is coming back to normal

Lee

Monday, November 25, 2013 10:46 AM
  • Monday, November 25, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hi have the same problem on an SBS 2011 SP 2 server.  RPC service stops and RPC endpoint mapper goes to stopping. Exchange is the first to go and then printing. the server then lasts about 10 minutes before locking up. It doesn't restart but locks everyone out of the network and the only way to get it back working is to forcibly power it off with the button. It is completely random and can go for a couple of days before happening although as we speak today it has happened 4 times. Some forums point to a certain KB update which i tried to apply but it reported the wrong version of OS. (KB2401588) Please see entry from event logs when it fails below;

The process C:\Windows\system32\services.exe (W2K11SBS) has initiated the restart of computer W2K11SBS on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
     Reason Code: 0x30006
     Shutdown Type: restart
     Comment: Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly

I am struggling to resolve this and my client is becoming increasingly frustrated with this but as yet i have no answer for them. Is there anyone that has successfully fixed this?

I can supply any information you require if someone can help  -  please.

Cheers

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Hi Roberto,

Thanks for this but the link points to a specific KB2401588 hotfix which wont install on my SBS 2011 standard server as it reports incorrect OS version.

Any other ideas; this problem is really frustrating as it doesn't give you the reasons why the RPC service just decides to stop. Banging my head against a brick wall seems the best thing to do at the moment, if only to relieve the frustrations. :-)

Cheers

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:39 PM
  • Are nic  updated with the last firmware/drivers?

Have you tried to disabe antivirus?

Roberto

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:54 PM