none
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 and WIN 7 64 N

Question

• I have an older HP with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400.  4GIG ram

I have successfully installed WIN 7 64.

First thing I used was the IE Browser.  the system ground to a halt and froze.

After rebooting I went to Windows updates.  Get about half way through and again the system ground to a halt and froze.

This seems to be continuing. 

Any ideas?  Help is appreciated.

• Edited by ChazInAZ Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:59 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:58 PM

Answers

• So we already confirm no issue with HW right?
    • Can I double check with you whether you encounter some strange behavior during installation or with your installation OS?

If you sure no issue with it, try update chipset, BIOS and do windows update

If necessary, please check at your PC manufactured website maybe they have update driver

And check what happen after that

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi

Let me guess HP Compaq dc5750?

Can you go to safe mode?

If cant, I suggest you to check the HDD smart test in BIOS (as I remember HP also has this feature in BIOS)

I assume the issue from the HDD since this model quite old

• Edited by britishdhez Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

Maybe your computer got infected with virus, virus can cause performance issue that can make your computer to freeze or crash. So firstly run Microsoft Safety Scanner to check whether it is caused by virus.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

If it is not the case. Try the Fixit in the following article.

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286/en-us

We can also test in safe mode to see whether the issue occur.

Restart the computer, press F8 before the Windows logo appears. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press Enter.

Meanwhile, check event viewer to see what caused the issue.

Start>Type eventvwr in into search box> right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator.

If still no joy, since it is an old machine, you might need some hardware upgrades, please contact HP manufacturer for further help.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Thanks for the input.
    Excuse my amateurishness here but I completed a clean install of WIN 7 on the machine.  I am under the impression that the installer formatted my machine when performing the install.  If that is the case I am assuming that any viruses would be gone.  Is that true?

Also, the utility probably wont run as the system freezes up pretty quickly when running anything.  I will try it though.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Did the test and all seems to be fine.  Anything else you can think of?
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:01 PM
  • So I am looking at the event viewer and have NO idea what I should be looking for.... I am a neophyte.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:03 PM
  • So there are 2 persistent application errors...

1.  Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains error code. 

Source:  LoadPerf
    Event ID: 3011

2.  The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section.  LastCOunter value is the second DWORD in the Dtatasectrion, and LAstHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data Section.

Source:  LoadPerf
    Event ID: 3012

There is a persistent System Error logged

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0
    Event ID:  11

Does this illuminate anything for you?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:19 PM
    • So we already confirm no issue with HW right?
    • Can I double check with you whether you encounter some strange behavior during installation or with your installation OS?

If you sure no issue with it, try update chipset, BIOS and do windows update

If necessary, please check at your PC manufactured website maybe they have update driver

And check what happen after that

Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:57 AM