none
Kernel Power 41 (63)

Question

• Hello all,

My laptop Sony Vaio i7 720QM, GF330M (VPCF11S1E) keeps shutting down randomly while playing for ex. World of Warcraft. I can see a black screen not blue and after 2-3 seconds my laptop shuts down, it happenes randomly sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes a few hours or days but it is very frustrating. I tried different drivers for my graphic card, tested my hardware, ram, reinstalled my system, my temps under heavy stress are 72 cpu and 60 gpu tried to clean my fans also but nothing helps. I'm wondering if my problem is heat related but the shut down sometimes occurs right after i get into the game. I have no idea what should I do that's why I am asking for help here. Here is the error that occurs:

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
    EventID 41
    Version 2
    Level 1
    Task 63
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8000000000000002
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2013-12-24T16:55:15.674414300Z
    EventRecordID 10020
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8
    Channel System
    Computer SONY-VAIO
    - Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress false
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0

I tried to find minidump folder, tried to follow steps but it seems that I can't find any. I would appreaciate any help.

Kind Regards,

P.G.

• Edited by Grykson Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 12:59 AM

Answers

• Grykson

One of the 2 links broken but I was able to get the DMP file finally.

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the Blue Screen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.
    If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.
     Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.
     Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557263%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

BugCheck 117, {fffffa8005cd0010, fffff8800f178e64, 0, 0}

Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
    Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+152e64 )

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Grykson

Without any data I cant do anything but guess.  99.999999% of the time with unexpected shutdowns (event ID 41) when gaming IT IS HEAT.

You might want to check in event viewer.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:59 PM

All replies

• Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
    If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:56 AM
  • OK I updated Msinfo on my skydrive but I can not find any dumpfile on my computer, I followed all the steps but it doesn't work for me and doesnt show off. I'm not a computer expert but maybe that's because I havent got any bluescreens, only black screen and shut down..

Kind Regards,

P.G

• Edited by Grykson Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:08 PM
  • try to change the battery and check ?
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:59 PM
  • It happenes even without a battery, just randomly pops whenever it likes sometimes after a few hours, days or even seconds. It happenes to my only in World of Warcraft from what I've experienced. I haven't noticed anything like it when doing something else. It's a little bit frustrating, i'm not an expert or something but I thought about exchanging my power supply adapter, maybe that's the issue.. Can't do anything untill someone experienced can help me figure out what's the problem..
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:08 PM
  • do u have recovery disk?
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Why ask? I've got hidden recovery disk and I've already reinstalled my OS but it didn't help. If I had money I would buy a new laptop but since I am playing only 2 games in which I've got like 60fps on FULL HD options, I'd rather find a solution.. but I'm short of ideas..
    • Edited by Grykson Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Grykson

If the computer shows event ID 41 That means an unexpected shutdown (called a bluescreen)

For dumps to be produced. . .

▪ Page file must be on OS drive
    * Page file base allocation size must be > than installed physical RAM
    ▪ Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
    *Set page file to system managed on the OS drive
    *Set system crash/recovery options to "kernel Memory Dump"
    *User account control must be running.
    * Sometimes SSD drives with older firmware do not create DMPS (update firmware)
    *cleaner applications like Ccleaner delete DMP files so dont run them until you are fixed.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:35 PM
  • This laptop is making me sick.. it shuts down without a reason and it doesnt create minidump folder, I have done everything as it was said, followed all of the steps and there is no minidump folder nor minidump save and stuff..
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 9:51 PM
  • G

Did you make sure DMPS were enabled as the instructions said to?

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:28 PM
  • OK. I put the minidump file on my skydrive. Should I do anything more?
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:51 PM
  • G

Yes we need a link to it.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:09 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=440D60AA0835C0D7!108&authkey=!ANAd9Wfkwy8r37k&ithint=folder%2c.nfo

http://sdrv.ms/1bqOAHX 

Does it work?

• Edited by Grykson Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:21 AM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 12:15 AM
  • Grykson

One of the 2 links broken but I was able to get the DMP file finally.

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the Blue Screen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.
    If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.
     Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.
     Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557263%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

BugCheck 117, {fffffa8005cd0010, fffff8800f178e64, 0, 0}

Unable to load image nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
    Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+152e64 )

Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:30 AM
  • It will be hard to remove side panel since I am playing on laptop but I will try to check different Video drivers and clean my fans carefully once again. Thank you very much for help!

Thursday, December 26, 2013 1:41 AM
  • G

You may want to investigate cooling pads, and blowing out the vents carefully with compressed air.  It may not be heat but if it is a laptop more often than not it is

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:00 AM
  • I'm trying different drivers and my laptop shuts down right after I get into the game.. I'm like 99% sure that it is not heat problems, I am in game like 5 seconds.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:34 PM
  • I tested my cpu and gpu in furmark for a few minutes, stressed my gpu for 15 minutes and it was 66 C while having like 3 FPS, cpu was like 72 and it was really hot, never had it like that before even while playing some other games. After that temps went down to 50 and 45 C I opened World of Warcraft, loaded into the game 5 seconds and instant shut down. That's really weird... That's for sure not an overheating problem.. and I've tried so many different drivers.. Any ideas :(?

• Edited by Grykson Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:12 PM
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:01 PM
  • G

ITS PROBABLY HEAT

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Can you please explain me how is it possible that it is heat? I ran stress test in furmark my laptop was almost burning and it didnt shut down, but in WoW it shuts down instantly, how come it can be heat??
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Grykson

Without any data I cant do anything but guess.  99.999999% of the time with unexpected shutdowns (event ID 41) when gaming IT IS HEAT.

You might want to check in event viewer.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:59 PM