none
How to find which hardware causes interupts in Windows server 2003 R2

Question

• Hi all,

I am using Windows server 2003 R2 as an application server but our monitoring tool gives alert to me that
    "The number of hardware interrupts per second (18057) is more than the number of System Calls per second ,This indicates a hardware device is generating an excessive amount of hardware interrupts"
    I want to know hoe to find which hardware causes high interrupts? is there any windows utility to find which hardware causes high interrupts ?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:33 AM

All replies

• If there is a lot of time spent in "\Processor(*)\% Privileged Time"  as well, then consider using KernRate. Mark Russinovich has a great article on how to use KernRate to identify drivers causing the most time in the kernel.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:36 AM
  • Hi Clint,

Are you referring to:

That article discusses use of KernRate to see what driver is responsible for CPU activity in the system process - not quite the same, but close enough.

Or are you referring to some portion of the Windows Internals book (I know KernRate is discussed there as well)?

Or (the real reason for my inquiry) might you be referring to some other article, that would be a good thing to read? :-)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:41 AM
  • Hey Guys ,

but with help of above information how shall i find which hardware causes high interupts ?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Kernrate will tell which drivers are processing the interrupts (where the code is executing when kernrate checks); the driver can help indicate where to go next.  Run the kernrate executable and examine the output.  Or consider using the krview.xls spreadsheet for graphical analysis of the data.  Both kernrate and the spreadsheet come with extensive documentation (Kernrate Usage Guide.doc and KernrateViewer.doc)...
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:49 AM