none
Server 2012 WSUS and SQL Server 2012 SP1

Question

• Ok so I know this question has been asked many times.  I reviewed many of the topics and haven't found a definitive answer.  Can Windows Server 2012's WSUS database be installed on SQL Server 2012 SP1?  I know people are saying they have it running that way and it is working fine.  But the documentation on technet does not mention SQL Server 2012 SP1.  WSUS Database Requirements

Does anyone have another location that states it is supported.  I really want to update the SQL to SP1, but I don't want a non-supported configuration.  If they just would state something like SQL Server 2012 and service packs it would be awefully nice of them!

Offtopic:  what is the latest Cumulative Update for SQL Server 2012 that does not have SP1?

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 2:29 PM

Answers

• Can Windows Server 2012's WSUS database be installed on SQL Server 2012 SP1?

The challenge here is failing to recognize chronology as it relates to the creation of documentation, and expecting an older document to have any knowledge of a newer product release

However it's also important to recognize the functional history of the product with respect to this type of question.

First, WSUS v6 is supported on SQL Server 2012. That is documented fact.

Second, generally speaking, service packs to SQL Server have never been a cause for supportability concerns, except where a product explicitly utilizes some feature introduced in a Service Pack, and thus makes that a minimum required version.

Beyond that, however, where WSUS is concerned, there's another more practical reality. We've seen a history of the WSUS installer not playing well when an installation attempt on a NEWER service pack of SQL Server is in use than the product was originally released/supported on. However, I've never seen an issue where WSUS would not *run* on a newer service pack of SQL Server, and I've always kept my WSUS database instances patched to the latest service pack (and I've used every version of SQL Server since SQL 2000 on a WSUS server).

So, as has always been my advice since we first saw issues with trying to install WSUS v2 on SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP3 was the originally supported release):

• Install WSUS to the **supported** version of SQL Server listed in the documentation.
    • Then apply any subsequently released service packs.

Ergo,

1. Install SQL Server 2012 RTM.
    2. Install WSUS v6.
    3. Apply Service Pack 1 for SQL2012, plus any post-SP cumulative updates.

For details regarding SQL Server updates, you'll need to inquire in the SQL Server forum.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence R Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Chase Roth Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:21 PM
  • WSUS 6.3 supports SQL Server 2012 SP1. We do not retroactively test old versions of WSUS with new versions of SQL Server, and we do not explicitly block WSUS from working with newer versions of SQL Server.
    Friday, November 08, 2013 10:58 PM

All replies

• Can Windows Server 2012's WSUS database be installed on SQL Server 2012 SP1?

The challenge here is failing to recognize chronology as it relates to the creation of documentation, and expecting an older document to have any knowledge of a newer product release

However it's also important to recognize the functional history of the product with respect to this type of question.

First, WSUS v6 is supported on SQL Server 2012. That is documented fact.

Second, generally speaking, service packs to SQL Server have never been a cause for supportability concerns, except where a product explicitly utilizes some feature introduced in a Service Pack, and thus makes that a minimum required version.

Beyond that, however, where WSUS is concerned, there's another more practical reality. We've seen a history of the WSUS installer not playing well when an installation attempt on a NEWER service pack of SQL Server is in use than the product was originally released/supported on. However, I've never seen an issue where WSUS would not *run* on a newer service pack of SQL Server, and I've always kept my WSUS database instances patched to the latest service pack (and I've used every version of SQL Server since SQL 2000 on a WSUS server).

So, as has always been my advice since we first saw issues with trying to install WSUS v2 on SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP3 was the originally supported release):

• Install WSUS to the **supported** version of SQL Server listed in the documentation.
    • Then apply any subsequently released service packs.

Ergo,

1. Install SQL Server 2012 RTM.
    2. Install WSUS v6.
    3. Apply Service Pack 1 for SQL2012, plus any post-SP cumulative updates.

For details regarding SQL Server updates, you'll need to inquire in the SQL Server forum.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

• Marked as answer by Chase Roth Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:21 PM
  • @Lawrence Garvin:  Thank you for the feedback.  The information provided is helpful for sure, with only one discrepancy...

The site I linked says, "Updated: October 17, 2013; Applies To: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2".  Although, the published date is February 29, 2012, I didn't fail to check the date as much as they did not update the documentation fully when they *updated* these last times, or SQL Server 2012 SP1 is still not supported.

It is helpful to read the other information you provided regarding the history of how the updates functioned and running versus installing.  Thank you for your input.  Do you think the documentation will be modified possibly to say "SQL Server 2012 or newer".

Can anyone else also provide feedback or any reference regarding this situation?

Thanks ALL!

Find this post helpful? Does this post answer your question? Be sure to mark it appropriately to help others find answers to their searches.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:54 PM
  • The site I linked says, "Updated: October 17, 2013; Applies To: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2".

It certainly was updated on October 17, 2013. It was updated to add the phrase "Windows Server 2012 R2" to the Applies To line.

If you compare the rest of this document to the original version released on February 29, 2012, when Windows Server 2012 was still in beta, I submit you'll find that nothing else in the document has been changed. The fact that a document (article) has been "revised on a date" does not mean that it's fully accurate as of that date. It would be nice if it was; it would be nice if TechNet/MSDN documents contained an actual Revision History with notes about those revisions, but that ain't never been the case in my observations. Sadly.

So, to my original point...

• The WSUS v6 BETA documentation was authored in February, 2012 (or earlier).
    • Windows Server 2012 was originally released to manufacturing in August, 2012.
    • SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1 was released in November, 2012.

Ergo, the key here is understanding chronology of the relevant events, and not reading more into something than it actually means. The documentation written in February, 2012, couldn't possibly have had any awareness of a service pack that didn't exist for another 10 months.

I would also point out that nary a previous instance of WSUS documentation has ever been updated to reflect installation support for a newer service pack level of SQL Server than the *release* of that version originally documented as supported.

Do I think the documentation will be updated to say "SQL Server 2012 or newer", no previous documentation has ever been updated to say that about SQL2000, SQL2005, SQL2008, or SQL2008R2, so I doubt it. I also certainly hope not, for the very reasons I expressed in the previous message concerning the empirical behaviors from admins who tried to install WSUS on newer instances of SQL Server than were listed in the documentation.

It may be that WSUS v6.3 (for WS2012R2) was tested on SQL Server 2012 SP1, in which case I would expect that the WSUS v6.3 product is explicitly supported on SQL2012SP1, but I would be highly surprised if a separate documentation set were built for WSUS v6.3 from WSUS v6.2.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Friday, November 08, 2013 10:23 PM
  • WSUS 6.3 supports SQL Server 2012 SP1. We do not retroactively test old versions of WSUS with new versions of SQL Server, and we do not explicitly block WSUS from working with newer versions of SQL Server.
    Friday, November 08, 2013 10:58 PM
  • Thank you both for your responses.  So although the documentation was updated, it wasn't updated in terms of including all the newer forms/versions of the required technologies. 

So I have gotten what I need from this post.  Lawrence's logic of install with the supported version and then feel free to update to the newer patch levels/versions sounds like the way to go.  That methodology seems to be confirmed by Ben.

Thank you again, and I will go ahead with updating to SP1.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:30 PM