none
Fresh Install of unstable W2008R2

Question

• Hi Guys, I need some help

I have 2 W2008R2Std running as primary and secondary domain controller.

The primary one is rebooting maybe due a faulty power supply which is going to be replaced in a few days, however I think it has become unstable and unreliable.

I have an old full server backup and system state too, but I dont know if I want to use them.

I would like to know if I give it a fresh install and install the AD/DNS as part of an existing domain which is the secondary one, can it be the primary one again?

Also I have the GPOs and etc..   does it stay in the secondary while a I format and then it will be available back to the primary one?

I need some advise on that before I can start doing it.

Please, explain me how it should work, what stays online in the secondary (like users, gpos or nothing?) ..

What should I make sure in the secondary before doing that.

Thanks so much,

Igor

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:44 PM

Answers

• Hi DAVE!

Just giving you and others a feedback on how it was.

I removed the OLD HD, inserted the 2 NEW and created the RAID

Installed the Windows 2008r2, all the drivers and ran lots of tests (HD stress tests and stuff, provided by the HP, which is the server brand)

After convinced the problem was not in the raid controller, I put back the OLD HD and demote the OLD SERVER then it became member of the domain and after that I renamed it to SERVER_OLD

put back the 2 NEW HD(raid1) and renamed it to SERVER and dcpromo it... after that I set it back to MASTER OF OPERATION and GLOBAL CATALOG... turned off the "SERVER-BKP" and checked if the stations could log into the domain.

After everything OK, turned on the SERVER-BKP.

Everything is OK now...

I took those steps because I wanted to be very sure of everything before demote the OLD SERVER

I had doubt of the problem being the CONTROLLER or the OLD HD which was corrupting the raid 1 all the time...

Never finished rebuilding it.

Thanks for the help

Igor

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:40 PM

All replies

• There's really is no primary secondary any more. Make them both global catalog servers then you can rebuild the one with other in service.

I'd ask the group policy question over here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP&filter=alltypes%2Cnoreplies&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:03 AM
  • There's really is no primary secondary any more. Make them both global catalog servers then you can rebuild the one with other in service.

I'd ask the group policy question over here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverGP&filter=alltypes%2Cnoreplies&sort=lastpostdesc

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Dave, thanks for the answer.

Just to clarify my mind, how do I make sure both are as global catalog?

I could see in the AD Users and Computer I can change the MASTER OF OPERATION which I think I should change

RID - Primary Domain Controller - Infrastructure

Where else should I be sure I gave the proper "full power" to the other server to control everything while I reinstall the main server?

Thanks in advance

Igor

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Here's the steps below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/831.setting-a-windows-server-2008-domain-controller-as-a-global-catalog.aspx

A little more info here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/how-global-catalog-servers-work(v=ws.10).aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Dave, thanks again.

Perfect... the other server has been global catalog already

I think I am ready to go!

I have the DHCP Scheme backup.

I believe the only thing I will lose is the NTFS configuration...

because this server runs the file server, however I am not going to lose the USERS and GROUPS because the other server will hold the things until I finish reinstalling it and put it back online, right?

Thx again

Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Yes, that's correct. I'd shut the server down for a while to check that all is functional and stable. When it looks good you can start it up one more time to dcpromo (demote it)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771844(v=ws.10).aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, October 25, 2013 12:50 AM
  • Dave,

Last question that came to my mind after that link you posted

As I am also changing the HD, I will leave the current one as "backup" for any problem during the new installation on the new HD.

the new HD will have the same W2008R2Std and will have the same hostname and will be added to the same domain and etc...

The question is, Will the domain accept the new installation to the current domain, considering that the domain thinks the machine called "server" was online a few minutes ago and now a new machine with the same name "server" is wanting to be inserted as a domain controller

Do you understand what I mean?

I would not like to run dcpromo to take the current/old out the domain because in any case of not going well, I can put the old HD back on the server and reboot

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Unless I install a server called "server1" check that everything went well and the put the old HD back on the server, boot it and then "dcpromo" to remove it from the domain

Then later on I can rename it to "server"

What do you think?

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Dave,

Last question that came to my mind after that link you posted

As I am also changing the HD, I will leave the current one as "backup" for any problem during the new installation on the new HD.

the new HD will have the same W2008R2Std and will have the same hostname and will be added to the same domain and etc...

The question is, Will the domain accept the new installation to the current domain, considering that the domain thinks the machine called "server" was online a few minutes ago and now a new machine with the same name "server" is wanting to be inserted as a domain controller

Do you understand what I mean?

I would not like to run dcpromo to take the current/old out the domain because in any case of not going well, I can put the old HD back on the server and reboot

If you do it this way then you'll have more problems as you'll first need to perform metadata cleanup, then I'd be concerned about adding the same name back in.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx

I'd offline the server and leave it for sufficient time to be sure its no longer needed, then dcpromo it.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, October 25, 2013 2:34 PM
  • You know.. I think it might be worth of risk... metadata cleanup does not seem to be hard to do.. but I think I can do by this way below

What if I install the server with the new HDs and call it as "SERVER-TEST", then dcpromo it, make it global catalog, and then check if everything went well...  I can later on, shut it down, put the OLD HD, start the "SERVER" and demote it ... then put the NEW HDs back on the server, start it up and rename it back to SERVER and set the IP to the same as before.

How does that sound?

I am very worried of something goes wrong and I dont have any way of going back at least how it was, understand?

Question, when I dcpromo the "SERVER-TEST" the other server called "SERVER-BKP" (this one is my "secondary") will see and work together the "SERVER-TEST", however when "SERVER" comes online, it wont see the "SERVER-TEST" as they use the same hardware and one is off-line when the other is online, but I think the "SERVER-BKP" will replicate the infos of "SERVER-TEST" to "SERVER" (before I demote it)

Will that work?

I am trying to feel all the possible scenarios I may go through tomorrow

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:23 PM
  • I think you're making this more difficult than necessary and more prone to issues. I'd down the server without touching it (maybe a few days or whatever) until you're comfortable with it.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, October 25, 2013 11:00 PM
  • Hi DAVE!

Just giving you and others a feedback on how it was.

I removed the OLD HD, inserted the 2 NEW and created the RAID

Installed the Windows 2008r2, all the drivers and ran lots of tests (HD stress tests and stuff, provided by the HP, which is the server brand)

After convinced the problem was not in the raid controller, I put back the OLD HD and demote the OLD SERVER then it became member of the domain and after that I renamed it to SERVER_OLD

put back the 2 NEW HD(raid1) and renamed it to SERVER and dcpromo it... after that I set it back to MASTER OF OPERATION and GLOBAL CATALOG... turned off the "SERVER-BKP" and checked if the stations could log into the domain.

After everything OK, turned on the SERVER-BKP.

Everything is OK now...

I took those steps because I wanted to be very sure of everything before demote the OLD SERVER

I had doubt of the problem being the CONTROLLER or the OLD HD which was corrupting the raid 1 all the time...

Never finished rebuilding it.

Thanks for the help

Igor

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:40 PM
  • You're welcome. Good to hear its sorted.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 12:37 AM