none
SQL Server 2008 on SBS 2011 server?

Question

• Hi all,

I have hear that it was not a best practise to install SQL Server 2008 (from the Premium Add-On) on SBS 2011 Standard... but on the other hand, I also read it was still going to work perfectly...

I have 1 physical server and I need to install SBS 2011 Standard AND SQL Server 2008 on it, I see 2 scenarios:

1. Install Windows Server 2008, add the Hyper-V role and install 2 VM (SBS 2011 Std + Server 2008 with SQL Server)
    2. Install SBS 2011 Standard and add SQL Server 2008

I suppose option 1 is better from an architect point of view but I suppose option 2 is far better when performance is concerned.

I find very few SBS 2011 deployment scenarios on the web... any experiences, tips, advices are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ambroise

Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:16 PM

Answers

• There are security issues surrounding installing SQL on a domain controller.  It is therefore not recommended
    That's why the premium add on supplies not only SQL but a second server license as well

So install Windows Server 2008 R2 from the premium addon with only the core and hyper V to act as the host
    Then install SBS 2011 as a guest...get it all going...then Premium Add on as additional server with SQL

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• There are security issues surrounding installing SQL on a domain controller.  It is therefore not recommended
    That's why the premium add on supplies not only SQL but a second server license as well

So install Windows Server 2008 R2 from the premium addon with only the core and hyper V to act as the host
    Then install SBS 2011 as a guest...get it all going...then Premium Add on as additional server with SQL

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi Cris, and thank you for your answer. Your suggestion is one of my scenarios but I am just afraid of performances if I do it like that.

I already read about security concerns when it comes to install SQL Server on a domain controller. It is again written on the Using SQL Server in Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition page where one can read:

"You can install SQL Server on the server running Windows SBS 2008 or on the second server that you set up for your Windows SBS 2008 domain. However, for security reasons, it is recommended that you do not install the SQL Server on a domain controller."

So "you can" but "it is not recommended". If I can, I would prefer doing it to avoid performance issues. Doesn't that make sense?

Thanks again.

Ambroise

Sunday, May 08, 2011 6:45 PM