none
Why the TEMP user profile?

Question

• Clean install of SBS 2011 and I still get this TEMP user profile for administrator.

Event ID 1511 and TEMP folder created in the Users directory.

Why does this happen?

Friday, September 02, 2011 10:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you just install updates?
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Did you just install updates?

Nope. The only thing I did right after logging in was install the desktop experience and rebooted. I didn't check to see if the TEMP folder was there prior to installing. I just happened to view the logs after and noticed the 1511.
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Desktop experience is installing software.  I'll bet that's were the temp profile came from.

Is there a reason you want to install that software on SBS 2011?  You'll now need to update windows media and other things that aren't normally on the box.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:50 AM
  • No reason. It shouldn't matter if I install a feature or not. That doesn't explain (at least to me) why the admin account after a few minutes creates a TEMP account.

Thanks
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Temp folder or temp profile?

Updates always install temp folders. 

Given that I've never installed that role on a server, I can't say yes or no that a temp user account would not be created.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Temp folder or temp profile?

It's a TEMP folder in the Users directory and logs show a 1511.
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Event ID 1511 Source Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service:
    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1511&eventno=9795&source=Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service&phase=1

Like that?

Again I've seen this occur after updates.  I'm not exactly sure why.  Installing a feature is equivalent to installing updates.

Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Having struck this recently, soon after adding desktop experience to a Server08R2 installation that is actually intended to operate as a workstation (my own PC), I plugged the error message into google and was immediately offered a solution.

from memory: You will have both the original profile and the temp in the /users folder. One of them is username.domain whereas the other wil be just username. You sign off, sign on as another admin user, rename one ofthe profiles .old, sign on. It's both well known and well documented.

NOW we get to the fun part. After reading the instructions I simply performed a full powerdown of my PC (from Serv08R2) and powered back up. The problem had gone away and has not yet resurfaced. I don't though use that install, which is on a 2nd HDD, full time, I normally boot to Win7U.

Why you wish to do this to SBS is beyond my ken. If you intend using the server as a PC, please remove SBS.

• Edited by SuperGumby Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:09 PM
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Why you wish to do this to SBS is beyond my ken. If you intend using the server as a PC, please remove SBS.

Well I do have one SBS setup that I use as my main workstation and domain controller. I do it so I am constantly on it and learning it strengths and limitations.
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Why you wish to do this to SBS is beyond my ken. If you intend using the server as a PC, please remove SBS.

Well I do have one SBS setup that I use as my main workstation and domain controller. I do it so I am constantly on it and learning it strengths and limitations.

please remove SBS from it.

EDIT & BTW: Having SBS set up in such manner _in no way_ reflects a 'reasonable use' scenario and give you _no benefits_ in consideration of SBS use for a 'normal' implementation. If you want experience of SBS set it up _as if it was a proper implementation_.

• Edited by SuperGumby Saturday, September 03, 2011 11:40 PM
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 11:36 PM
  • please remove SBS from it.

EDIT & BTW: Having SBS set up in such manner _in no way_ reflects a 'reasonable use' scenario and give you _no benefits_ in consideration of SBS use for a 'normal' implementation. If you want experience of SBS set it up _as if it was a proper implementation_.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you.
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Clean install of SBS 2011 and I still get this TEMP user profile for administrator.

Event ID 1511 and TEMP folder created in the Users directory.

Why does this happen?

Fix is here:

http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2008/09/vista-event-id-1511-1515-profile-loss.html

We see it on all manner of Windows.

I suspect that there is a momentary loss of communication when the profile is to be linked to the user logging in. Thus the TEMP as a failsafe.

Philip Elder SBS MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 12:18 AM
  • I totally concur with Mick on this...the server should NEVER be used as your primary workstation.

Get a workstation, then RDP to the server and through that session up on a second monitor, and leave it up all day if desired.

I'd also remove the desktop experience...it's just another burden on the server that was never intended to be there.

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 1:32 AM
  • I'll give you a reason -- baseline.  Once you start deviating from the normal set up you don't have a base to compare to.

You installed the desktop experience that in turn turns on aero, and all sorts of video stuff.  Your patching experience will be different now than a normal server.  You now have services that a default box doesn't have.

I like having a base copy of a server in HyperV or vmware or somewhere I can compare it to.

Then add to that all the things you have to hack onto Server 2008 r2 to get it like a workstation and you are starting to change the box from default so it's no longer a good comparison.

Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:32 AM
  • FYI,

I just did another SBS 2011 and the first thing I did was check the Users folder to see if the TEMP folder was there and it was. First login.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:24 PM
  • FYI,

I just did another SBS 2011 and the first thing I did was check the Users folder to see if the TEMP folder was there and it was. First login.

Yup. On a domain admin account it mostly does not matter anyway as one is not using Outlook or any other client app right? :D

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Yup. On a domain admin account it mostly does not matter anyway as one is not using Outlook or any other client app right? :D 

That's right :D Just trying to see if installing the desktop experience or any other app was the cause. It appears that's not the case.
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:59 PM