none
Unable to boot from disc for installation of Windows server 2003

Question

• Hi Team,

I've been facing the below issue since from the time i bought my pc. I'm having a pc of core 2 duo, 2 gigs of RAM, powered by Windows XP.

Everytime i try to boot from server 2003 disc to install Server 2003, i get a bsod error with the message "The system has been stopped." Unfortunately it doesnt display any error codes, for me to check.

Is there anything wrong with the bios setting?

Kindly advice, so that i can go ahead with the installation.

Regards, Alan.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:57 PM

Answers

• More than likely is a controller driver issue. Easiest solution is to boot form the server pre-installation environment disk to prepare for operating system deployment (ex. HP smartstart) otherwise you can boot the Windows 2003 installation media and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2003 driver for your disk controller in drive "A"

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:56 AM
  • No need just the stop code will do. Either case assuming a controller driver issue the F6 method should sort it. Might also ask in the hardware manufacturer's support forums.

Also if a sata controller is involved you could try switching to / from ide mode or ahci mode.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Please go to the BIOS and change from AHCI mode to IDE, it should sure work.

Thanks

http://www.arabitpro.com

Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:57 AM

All replies

• More than likely is a controller driver issue. Easiest solution is to boot form the server pre-installation environment disk to prepare for operating system deployment (ex. HP smartstart) otherwise you can boot the Windows 2003 installation media and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2003 driver for your disk controller in drive "A"

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:56 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion. Do i have to change some setting in the bios to avoid this controller issue as stated above? My bios is very old which was released in the year 2006.

Could this problem be occured as the bios version is very old?

Kindly advice.

Regards, Alan.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:24 AM
  • Actually it may be the opposite since server 2003 was released in 2003. XP and 2003 were the same kernel. Are you sure it is BSOD? "system has been stopped" sounds more like malware.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, April 26, 2014 2:08 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Yes im very sure that it was a bsod error screen. The message has been displayed on a blue background screen.

I'll try to post a snapshot of it.

Regards, Alan.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:18 PM
  • No need just the stop code will do. Either case assuming a controller driver issue the F6 method should sort it. Might also ask in the hardware manufacturer's support forums.

Also if a sata controller is involved you could try switching to / from ide mode or ahci mode.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Please go to the BIOS and change from AHCI mode to IDE, it should sure work.

Thanks

http://www.arabitpro.com

Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Hi Syed,

Thanks for your suggestion. Let me have a check on that & get back to you.

Regards, Alan.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:02 AM