none
Windows 7 updates keep failing.

Question

• Almost every single day my computer starts up and attempts to update. After attempting to update it fails and reverts changes. When it doesn't update it gives me a notification about it restarting it and I have to delay it. Sometimes I don't delay it or forget about it and my computer restarts when I'm doing something important. I have the windows update diagnostic and even though I get check marks I get X's on Windows Update Error 0x80070057, problems installing recent updates, and an exclamation point on check for missing or corrupt files. Please give a solution because this annoys the heck out of me. And for how long this has been going on, I don't know because I'm pretty sure its been going on since I received this laptop.(It is not brand new my brother has had it for 2 or 3 years now.) Other than that I don't know when the problem started especially since its been going on for so long that I am used to it at this point.

Friday, January 10, 2014 2:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

1 ) Open RegEdit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    2 ) Remove any and all values within this key. Most likely, the culprit is a faulty Windows Update source server. Sometimes this is the result of a latent or previous infection.
    3 ) Finally, download and run Microsoft FixIt 50202. Try the Default settings first, and if that does not work, try Aggressive.
    4 ) Reboot the computer and check to see that Windows Update is working properly.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

-David

skateitchamp

Friday, January 10, 2014 4:44 PM
  • Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files.

For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:
    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Hope this helps, Gerry

Friday, January 10, 2014 5:24 PM
  • You can also post windowsupdate.log file

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:00 PM
  • Here is the system information, not acquired in safe mode. I will upload the rest now.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CA6AA62796032C0!126&authkey=!AGPgmT_hHEfxYcs&ithint=file%2c.txt

Application Logs

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CA6AA62796032C0!130&authkey=!APp8Cybo5gpycFM&ithint=folder%2c

System Logs

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CA6AA62796032C0!131&authkey=!AFope65ZgKRYVQs&ithint=folder%2c

• Edited by theman1016 Friday, January 10, 2014 10:02 PM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Nevermind found HKLM but once I get to Windows there is no WindowsUpdate
    • Edited by theman1016 Friday, January 10, 2014 10:12 PM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 9:49 PM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2CA6AA62796032C0!133&authkey=!ACp8yGZ_CRwHgh8&ithint=folder%2c

Friday, January 10, 2014 10:03 PM
  • The problem is a simple one. You had a accumulated a large number of updates and because these included a number of problematic updates the whole batch has been failing. However, over time some have installed but there remains 31 still to install.

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

You may have a single update that causes all in the batch to fail to install. If this occurs you should install one at a time so that you can find out which update is causing the problem. Manually installing and restarting your computer also allows you find out more quickly whether the problem is resolved. Automatic updating is a scheduled operation, which may execute up to 24 hours later.

This could leave you with a few that may need special attention.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Friday, January 10, 2014 11:21 PM
  • Alright trying Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2900986)

Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:53 AM
  • What was the result?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

I found a lot of Windows Update error 800f0826,  Windows Update error 800f0826 is displayed when an update for Windows has failed to install and is preventing you from installing additional updates. Error 800f0826 does not identify the update that has caused the problem.

Refer to following link to find the root cause:

Windows Update error 800f0826

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-800f0826#1TC=windows-7

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 13, 2014 12:06 PM