none
Mail not flowing, unable to telnet to port 25 (Exchange 2013)

    Question

  • We have an Exchange 2013 server which was working fine, but after a failed CU2 upgrade, we rolled back to the restore and since then mail isn't flowing.  All emails go into drafts.

    We can telnet to port 25 locally on the server, but not from anywhere else, the connection is cut remotely.

    There is no AV, nor any firewalls in the way.  Servers in the same subnet are unable to connect on port 25...but can connect on port 80 for example, or 2525.

    We've restored from various backups...all the same.  Running out of ideas...

    All thoughts very welcome.

    Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:45 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    I recommend you to check the Transport Submission service whether normally,if all email go into drafts.

    and have you got any error feedback when you telnet to 25 port failed? If there are,please post out.

    you also need to check your event log about system and application.

    Thanks.


    Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

    Friday, August 02, 2013 9:31 AM

All replies

  • Hi!

    I had that with 2010 server... What was bothering it was time. Make sure that the time is correct, wait for about an hour or so, then it should start working... Also with correct time, reboot the server once more...

    Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, the time settings are all good.

    Totally stumped on this one  :-/

    Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

    I recommend you to check the Transport Submission service whether normally,if all email go into drafts.

    and have you got any error feedback when you telnet to 25 port failed? If there are,please post out.

    you also need to check your event log about system and application.

    Thanks.


    Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

    Friday, August 02, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Can you tell me what exactly resolve your issue. I'm having same problem and struggle with it for hours now. Thanks in advance. 

    Friday, May 09, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Same, would you please post your resolution?
    • Proposed as answer by m.thaler Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by m.thaler Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:24 AM
    Friday, July 04, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Same problem after recover a server, only 2525 is working.

    Test-SMTPConnectivity on Exchange Server says Success, from other Server i got success only for port 2525 and 465 (default config)

    At Application Eventlog i found Event 1022 for MSExchangeFrontEndTransport

    Anti-spam agents are enabled, but the list of internal SMTP servers is empty. If there are any MTAs between this server and the Internet, populate this list by using the Set-TransportConfig cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell.

    The reason for this at my servers "Setup /mode:recoverserver" has also enabled the anti spam functions

    To solve this, add all SMTP Server with

    Set-TransportConfig -InternalSMTPServers <smtp server ip>

    disable TransportAgent with

    Disable-TransportAgent "Malware Agent"

    The following service restart is required for the change(s) to take effect : MSExchangeTransport

    or uninstall, should also solve this problem

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Scripts>.\uninstall-AntispamAgents.ps1

    • Edited by m.thaler Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:47 AM Adding additional Solution
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 11:35 AM