none
Customizing disk cache size with WDP

Question

• Is there any way to reduce the massive disk consumption that seems to be required by WDP?  I have a system with a very small footprint on a large drive array, and I don't want to sacrifice half the free disk space.

Thank you.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:01 PM

Answers

• 4GB free space is required if you want to enable WDP. After enabling it, we can adjust the cache file size (minimum 2GB) to restrict the space consumption of WDP. Hope the information is useful.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:03 AM
  • By default, WDP allocates half of the free space on the system partition to its cache file (up to a maximum default size of 40GB).  You can adjust this down to a minimum size of 2GB later if you like. 

Your situation may dictate otherwise, but I recommend leaving it as-is.  Since all changes aside from updates are discarded anyway, what would you do with extra free space on the partition anyway?  For most people, the remaining free space on the partition tends to last for a long time.  In addition, pagefile activity can fill up a small cache file relatively quickly given the perfect storm of low RAM, a (relatively) large pagefile, and a small WDP cache file.

Also keep in mind that the WDP can be aggressive about preventing itself from completely filling the cache file.  As you exceed 75% full, it will begin issuing warnings about an imminent restart.  At 87% it will force a restart.

-Rob
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:26 AM

All replies

• 4GB free space is required if you want to enable WDP. After enabling it, we can adjust the cache file size (minimum 2GB) to restrict the space consumption of WDP. Hope the information is useful.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:03 AM
  • By default, WDP allocates half of the free space on the system partition to its cache file (up to a maximum default size of 40GB).  You can adjust this down to a minimum size of 2GB later if you like. 

Your situation may dictate otherwise, but I recommend leaving it as-is.  Since all changes aside from updates are discarded anyway, what would you do with extra free space on the partition anyway?  For most people, the remaining free space on the partition tends to last for a long time.  In addition, pagefile activity can fill up a small cache file relatively quickly given the perfect storm of low RAM, a (relatively) large pagefile, and a small WDP cache file.

Also keep in mind that the WDP can be aggressive about preventing itself from completely filling the cache file.  As you exceed 75% full, it will begin issuing warnings about an imminent restart.  At 87% it will force a restart.

-Rob
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation.  I must have missed the adjustment feature in the documentation... sorry.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:50 PM