none
Cannot Connect to MICROSOFT##SSEE & AdminConnection\TCP

Question

• On SBS 2008 I am trying to connect to [computerName]\MICROSOFT##SSEE. I have no problems connecting to [computerName]\SBSMONITORING but SSEE gives me the error:

Cannot connect to [ComputerName]\MICROSOFT##SSEE
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SAL Network Interfaces, error: 26-Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)(Mcirsoft SQL Server)

I am trying to connect as [domain]\[SBS Admin Account]

Based on other posts I checked:

* Windows Internal Database (MICROSOFT##SSEE) service is started.

* NETWORK SERVICES has access to the directory and its files in c:\windows\SYSMSE\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data

* There are various log files called ERRORLOG, ERRORLOG.[1-6], log_[49-53].trc with the biggest one being 20MB, i.e. none are the 10GB+ sizes mentioned in other posts.

In an older log file I found "Login failed for user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE". In the latest log file I found:

- The Service Broker protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
    - The Database Mirroring protocol transport is disabled or not configured.
    - SQL Server has encountered 2 occurrence(s) of cachestore flush for the ‘Object Plans’ cachestore (part of plan cache) due to some database maintenance or reconfigure operations.
    - Same as above but also for ‘SQL Plan’ and ‘Bound Trees’

Note that in the Event Viewer I also see an entry Event 3, SQL Browser, The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MICROSOFT##SSEE is not valid.

Monday, May 21, 2012 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to connect using the string \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query

The Windows Internal database is an oddity.

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:32 PM
  • That indeed worked. Thanks a lot. The reason I did try to connect through SQL Server Management Studio Express is to enable TCP because I see a warning "A configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MICROSOFT##SSEE is not valid". However, I don't find where to set this. In configuration manager I don't see that database listed in SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration. I just see SBSMONITORING.

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:26 PM
  • OK

What databases are you running on SSEE? Why would you need TCP connections to it?

The error message is caused by SQL Browser, it is trying to connect to the instance. By default, SSEE has remote connections disabled as they should not be needed for server applications.

Open SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration, under SSEE -> Database Engine -> Remote Connections, you should have Local connections only selected.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:17 AM
  • I think SSEE is running in connection with Sharepoint on the SBS machine. I have the following entries in the Event viewer:

The configuration of the AdminConneciton\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MICROSOFT##SSEE is not valid.

This did make me believe that I need to enable TCP. I did actually go into the Surface Area Configuration and did set the TCP but realized that after coming back it would reset. After further research I found out that this does not work with SSEE. So I am back to zero on where this warning is coming from and how to fix it.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Could you please regedit and check what you see under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MICROSOFT##SSEE\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:59 AM
  • I see

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    ProtocolList REG_MULTI_SZ np
    Np\(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    Np\PipeName REG_SZ \\.\pip\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Thanks

So that should be OK.

If you now restart Windows Internal Database and SQL Server Browser services, do you still get the error after that?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:40 AM
  • I did reboot the whole (virtual) SBS but still get entries in the log file. At this point maybe it makes sense to list all the entries after a reboot

* Warn 2886 ActiveDirectory_DomainService (The security of this directory server can be....)
    * ERR 17187 MSSQL$SBSMONITORING - SQL SErver is not ready to accept new client connections....
    * ERR 17187 MSSQL$SBSMONITORING - SQL SErver is not ready to accept new client connections....
    * Warn 1056 DHCP-Server - The DHCP service has detected that it is running on a DC and has no cred...
    * War 6005 Winlogon - The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking long time time to handle...
    * Warn 3 SQLBrowser - The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SBSMONITORING is not valid
    * Warn 3 SQLBrowser - The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MICROSOFT##SSEE is not valid

I am not actually getting the same warning for SBSMONITORING which I did not before.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Hi, have you checked the solution in the following thread?

The specified resource type cannot be found - event id 17137 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatabaseengine/thread/0b3a2163-929f-4ba6-8e74-3d683aea19f1

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:07 AM