none
Windows 8 Custom boot logo

Answers

• This modification is not  supported or recommended by Microsoft. It will change Windows System files and might cause damage and problem with other parts of OS. If Windows 8 UEFI is enable , it should replace with Windows logo, because during measured boot, Windows will check for modification in system files and if it detect such thing will repair it.

I haven't try this myself, but if anyone try it in Windows 8, please feel free to share the result in Windows 8 with UEFI enable.

Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:10 PM
  • there is no other known method and Microsoft will never support changing the logo.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

The only other method is supported by the motherboard manufacturer only. If a manufacturer makes a BIOS tool available (iirc only Intel currently does) you can put the picture in the BIOS. If Windows 8, 8.1, WinPE 4 or WinPE 5 boots in UEFI mode, it will use that picture as its boot logo.
    Monday, October 14, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• This modification is not  supported or recommended by Microsoft. It will change Windows System files and might cause damage and problem with other parts of OS. If Windows 8 UEFI is enable , it should replace with Windows logo, because during measured boot, Windows will check for modification in system files and if it detect such thing will repair it.

I haven't try this myself, but if anyone try it in Windows 8, please feel free to share the result in Windows 8 with UEFI enable.

Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Then any recommended (alternate) way to do this, or its impossible?

N.A.Malik

Sunday, October 13, 2013 3:27 PM
  • try this unsupported hack:

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36724-windows-8-custom-boot-logo/page-2#entry321171

Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Hi

This is what I have mentioned in my 1st post (same method).

Seems like its not possible?

N.A.Malik

Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:09 PM
  • there is no other known method and Microsoft will never support changing the logo.

Monday, October 14, 2013 5:15 AM

The only other method is supported by the motherboard manufacturer only. If a manufacturer makes a BIOS tool available (iirc only Intel currently does) you can put the picture in the BIOS. If Windows 8, 8.1, WinPE 4 or WinPE 5 boots in UEFI mode, it will use that picture as its boot logo.
    Monday, October 14, 2013 6:49 PM
  • have you ever tried this? Does this work?

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:08 PM
  • It does work. Even if you do not put in a custom boot logo into the BIOS, if the board supports such a thing and you boot one of the above OSes in UEFI mode, the BIOS splash screen is typically the boot logo.
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Then how did Toshiba change it, my laptop says Toshiba, not the lame blue window frame!!!
    Friday, May 02, 2014 4:54 AM
  • They have the BIOS tools required to put the custom logo in the BIOS. All manufacturers that sell PCs with Windows 8 have this ability.
    Friday, May 02, 2014 3:29 PM
  • No. IT's impossible to change that logo for normal users. MS has GONE OUT OF IT's WAY to FORCE USERS to HAVE A MONOCHROME LOGO ON A BLACK BACKGROUND. They hardcoded the logo deep within the bootres.dll file and hardcoded the background color EXTREMELLY DEEP within MULTIPLE UNRELATED SYSTEM FILES and locked the whole bunch with PROPIETARY SIGNATURES to ensure no one customizes that. And THEY PUT RECODED VERSIONS OF THOSE FILES IN MOST OF THE UPDATES that you get through windows update, as an extra measure to undo and thwart any customization done to that part of the OS.

BTW: This ISN'T ABOUT SECURING THE OS, IT'S ABOUT RESTRICTING THE USERS ABILITY TO MODIFY THE APPEARANCE OF THE OS.

BTW 2: MS gives OEM's tools to customize the boot logo, under a Non-Disclosure Agreement and on the condition that 1: The OEM WILL NEVER give the customer that tool.

2: The OEM WILL LOCK THE UEFI DOWN so that customers WON'T BE ABLE TO MODIFY IT.

3: The OEM WILL USE THE BLACK COLOR AS THE UEFI BACKGROUND COLOR.

Friday, May 09, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Microsoft does not give the OEMs a tool to change the boot logo. The tools come from the hardware manufacturers. The only one that I know is available to the public is Intel's ITK.

As for the reason why the BGRT exists in the ACPI 5 spec, or why there was some need to add it, I don't know. You'd have to ask HP, Intel, Phoenix and Toshiba as well, since they worked with Microsoft on it.

Monday, May 12, 2014 3:10 PM