none
exchange 2010 file share witness directory empty

Question

• We currently have 5 mailbox servers in the dag.  2 in primary site, and 1 mailbox server at 3 other sites.  total 5.  I understand that we have an odd number of mailbox servers, so we technically do not need a file share witness. 

We wanted to move the file share witness server to another server at a different site.  

When I moved the file share witness server to another site, with the following command, the share and directory did not get created.  Is that by design?  Will it get created if the cluster loses quorum?

set-databaseavailabilitygroup -witnessdirectory "c:\dag1" -witnessserver "dr-mail" -id "dag1

What happens if we lose a mailbox server out of one site and are left with an even number of mailbox servers, will the file share witness server be used?  Will the directory and share automatically get created?

We have had issues when we lose connectivity between sites and databases mounted at one of the remote site dismounted for no reason, other than I guess because it was left on it's own and could not establish quorum by itself.

Network Touch

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:11 PM

All replies

• 5 mailbox role is mean your nodes = 5

So your exchange server can down 2 servers at the same time.

If 1 server down witness server will not use because at failover cluster manager , your majority using only 5 mailbox servers.

last question.

If your primary site down.

other side will take active . Because when primary down = 2 nodes down.
    and 3 others left still can connect each other.
    So 3 node at all other branches will take active.

http://www.shudnow.net/2011/08/05/exchange-2010-site-resilient-dags-and-majority-node-set-clustering-part-1/

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Hello,

This is the exchange 2013 forum. I will help you to move your issue to exchange 2010 forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Hello,

You can refer to the "Database Availability group quorum models" section in the following article.

Database Availability Groups

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979799(v=exchg.150).aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:19 AM
  • after I switched the file witness server to a different server, the directory has nothing in it, but it gave me no errors after I switched it.  Is that normal for the directory to be blank?  I guess because the FSW is not being used right now because we have 5 database servers in the dag, correct?

Network Touch

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:57 PM